Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Old Bat with a knife

Question Tung Oil finish

Hi Carvers, I finished a bull moose today and it is Butternut. I put a coat of Tung Oil on it. How many coats are enough? And should I spray a coat of clear semi-gloss wood finish afterward?
Thanks I'm still just trying to learn,
Phyllis Singer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Moose.jpg (62.6 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Phyllis Singer; 03-22-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Tung Oil finish

Hi Phyillis , if you post your question under the heading of Wood finishing and painting you should get lots of answers to your question

http://picasaweb.google.com/al.hillis/WOODCARVINGSMINE

Its better to take two steps forward and one step back then never having danced at all
Old 03-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy

I use tung oil on my natural finish carvings (and on our natural finish furniture). How many coats? It depends on the look you are seeking. Tung oil is diluted with mineral spirits to varying degree (based on manufacturer). So, the more you put on there the higher the gloss on the carving.

I use Formby's low gloss tung oil (not the tung oil finish which has other things in it). Make sure to let it dry well between coatings and I like to go over the first couple of coatings with a light rubbing of at least OOOO steel wool. Then use a clean cloth to eliminate any small pieces of the steel wool. I would use at least 2-3 coats and I allow a drying time of 24 hours between them.

Be sure that you allow any cloths you use for tung oil to air dry in a non-flammable place. Tung oil has the potential for self-ignition. Once they are dry they are safe and can be thrown away.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 03-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Paul--I was admiring your eagle head. Is that painted with acrylic paint? What sealer do you use? I carve mostly with basswood and paint with acrylics and use a semigloss sealer. I've never tried any other combination. Do you use tongue oil on acrylic?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:39 AM

It's important, when discussing tung oil finishes to be explicit about what product you're using. There's a big difference from using 100% tung oil and something like Formby's Tung Oil Finish, which is really a oil/varnish mix. These oil/varnish mixes will build much more quickly than thin coats of pure tung oil. They dry much faster as well.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Old Bat with a knife

Thank You Al, Sorry I posted on the wrong forum
Phyllis
Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Old Bat with a knife

Thank You Paul. I used Waterlox Original, made from tung oil. I did a lot of detail on the hair on the moose so can't really rub out the finish. Is it OK to just spray Deft semi-gloss over it now?
Phyllis
Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM
Old Bat with a knife

Thanks Larry, I used Waterlox Original. I did a lot of detail on the moose's hair so can't really rub it out. Is it OK to spray Deft semi-gloss on it now after it dries?
Phyllis
Old 03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy

Larry, I agree about the pure tung oil. There are not too many places around here to get 100% and then, if you want it to dry in the next year or so, it needs to be mixed with mineral spirits. That is why I use Formby's tung oil rather than the Formby's tung oil finish. I did use a lot of 100% tung oil on the ceiling boards in our house. Grizzly sells it by the gallon and we cut it with mineral spirits at about 1:4 and that made the tung go a lot further also.

I painted the eagle head with gouache which, as near as I can tell, is somewhere between watercolor and acrylic. I have been told that the watercolor white is not very permanent. I use winsor newton and mixed the gouache white with a little watercolor ivory black to get the color I used. Just mixed it by sight so do not know the ratio. I then coated the carving with several coats of Krylon matte finish.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 03-22-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
Larry, I agree about the pure tung oil. There are not too many places around here to get 100% and then, if you want it to dry in the next year or so, it needs to be mixed with mineral spirits.
Ain't that the truth!

Cheers --- Larry