Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Painting Wood to look like metal

Hi folks, I am looking for tips or suggestions on painting parts of carvings that are to be metal, like the barrel of a rifle or a chrome bumper of a car. In the past I have used metalic paints - silver for chrome but have not been pleased with the results.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim
Old 02-23-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Painting Wood to look like metal

gun barrels and other metals are "blued" steel...experiment with different blues in combination, you will come up with one you like.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM

Spray paints have never been real successful in reproducing bright shiny metals. Metal leafs do a bit better - but much of the shine is based on how smooth the surface is before applying the leaf. Any little imperfection is magnified by the leaf which just tends dull the final product. Gesso is the traditional base and can give very nice results - especially with real gold.

Chrome is an especially tough one - there's really nothing else that looks like it. You might try aluminum leaf or white golds with a gloss topcoat.

Once you get your metallic base - antiquing, using varnishes, asphaltum or metallic waxes (Liberon) is pretty straightforward. But all these work by knocking back the shine - not adding highlights...

www.flickr.com/photos/rales
www.picturetrail.com/rales
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Lynn is the best that I've seen at simulating metal in a carving. You can check out his site/blog.

I have also seen someone paint in layers with the base being painted Flat Black. Then add the other colors on top. It may take a few coats. I haven't tried it, but it seemed to work (but was too "heavy" for what I liked to do).
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the plug Mitchell. It's quite easy I use Black, Midnight Blue, and Silver. Just mix it till you get the color you want. The silver gives the metallic look. Just a little will give you the gun-metal blue while adding more will give you a more chrome look.
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 02-23-2009, 08:38 PM

you can make a mix of vinegar and steel wool let it set for 3 days. Then paint it on the wood the tanic acid in the wood will act with the mix and turn it black. you can then use any high light too add to the effect of metal look, ie, laquer or even oil base like watco or danish oil oak will react the best. You can also play around with copper and vinegar even zinc
Old 02-24-2009, 07:08 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like I have some experimenting to do.
Jim

Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 PM

Question Re: Painting Wood to look like metal

Hello: I am just a new subscriber to this Forum and was checking through some of the Threads and found your one on painting like chrome. We have a product here in Canada that is called Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic it is a spray can application that is a bright,reflective finish that looks like chrome, not sure if you can get it in other finishes, I bought it to spray a chrome piece on my old antique oil heater.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the info on the Rust-Oleum product. I will check into it.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:22 PM

Rub n Buff works but don't know if it comes in colors or not