Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Minwax Polycrylic vs. polyurethane

From what I read the Polycrylic does not yellow over time like the polyurethane is supposed to do. I tried it over a couple small test pieces and it seems to work fine. I figured the water based Polycrylic may be a better choice over acrylic paint than the oil based polyurethane. Any thoughts, any long term experience with the stuff?

Also has anyone tried mixing in some acrylic paint to the Polycrylic to create an antiquing kind of effect? I tried it last night seems to work, but I need to do more experimenting. Any idea if this would affect the Polycrylic with respect to bonding/durability?

I should add that I'm referring to basswood and mostly in the round carvings.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ken
Old 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Minwax Polycrylic vs. polyurethane

I used the spray can Minwax water based Polycrylic clear semi-gloss on a stool that I had painted for my daughter. I painted it about 4 months ago with acrylics and regular house paint and haven't noticed and yellowing yet. I gave it several days for the paint to dry before spraying the polycrylic.

Eric
Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 PM

I know that eventually, the eviro wing-nuts will have us all using the water based stuff, but for me, I'll keep using the polyurethane for as long as possible. I don't really consider the yellowing that I get as a bad thing. On some of my woodworking projects, I purposely use shellac to get a warmer color that the yellow can give. Not all people look at it the same as me though. The biggest thing I don't like about the polycrylic is air bubbles and roughness of finish. It drys so fast that it won't lay down or float out. I've never tried the spray stuff, maybe that could work. The only thing that can be said is to try it, you may like. As for mixing in acrylics, that could make for some interesting experiments. Good luck with it, post what your results are, would be interesting to see if it would work.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 PM

Yeah it does dry fast, but most of my stuff is small enough that it does not matter. It seems to mix well with acrylic paint to create a bit of an antique look from my small tests.

Ken
Old 03-21-2010, 01:27 AM

I've done faux and commercial painting, and my best suggestion is that for tinting, use ONLY the same product line 'paints' if you want an opaque color. If you just want to 'tint' your Aquacrylic (and I love MinWax Polycrylic), I would suggest spending a few $$ and getting colorants. It will give you a 'sure bet' that there won't be a conflict of carriers (stuff the companies use to suspend). If you mix one paint product with another, most often, you end up with a putrid goo that separates. And if you put it on a carving and ruin it, well, I know I would more than pull my hair out, I'd probably run screaming off the end of the pier!

I do have a lot of experience with Polycrylic - from when it first came out. And I have never seen it 'yellow', nor spot, nor, well, anything.... but of course, you have to know a few things about mixing, not just the final coat, but what's underneath.... I'll help ya, where ever if I can. I'm new on the board, but I've been told I'm a good teacher along my road. Thing is, I won't pass on advice I'm not sure about. Polycrylic, I'm sure about. Good Stuff!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 AM

Polycrylic is convenient (easy cleanup), but doesn't seal the wood as I would like. I've used it both before and after acrylic colors. In the first case it failed to limit the penetration of the colors - this was a NW Native style of carving where the color is carved away to reveal the pattern. When I used it over the colors, it dissolved some of the color and "smudged" over the adjoining color. I have switched back to polyurethane.

My WCI gallery:
Pallin's Gallery
Old 04-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Question Re: Minwax Polycrylic vs. polyurethane

Hey guys. I have a question about polycrylic as protection for painted wood surfaces. We just got finished renovating a church lobby with a wood wainscot and a coffee bar (see attached photo). We are having a problem with smudges and kick marks throughout the space. Our substrate is MDF (not my first choice but due to cost it's the hand we were dealt.) I can run my finger down the wall and make a visible mark.

We have been trying to figure out a way to give the paint coat a protective barrier (scratch coat). I have looked into minwax's polycrylic product, but I don't feel confident enough to pull the trigger. Do you guys have any suggestions???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00234-20100317-1017.jpg (42.6 KB, 11 views)