Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM
MyMothersDaughter!

Default glueing stones, glass,etc. to wood?

I am wondering what kind of glue or epoxy to attach stones and things to wood? I know there's info on here about it, but I'm to darn lazy to look! Not really lazy, just trying to make a living(work)! Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: glueing stones, glass,etc. to wood?

Sharon, epoxy will work just fine. One suggestion....take some fine emery cloth and roughen the surface you want to attatch to the wood. Thyat gives it some "tooth" for the epoxy to hold onto.

Al
Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlArchie View Post
Sharon, epoxy will work just fine. One suggestion....take some fine emery cloth and roughen the surface you want to attatch to the wood. Thyat gives it some "tooth" for the epoxy to hold onto.

Al
...or just touch one of your carbide Kutzall or diamond burrs to the back side of the stone to roughen it.

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 09-24-2010, 01:57 PM

Whoa.......don't use that Kutzall on anything but wood. You will probably ruin your bit, and if it throws some stone grit or pieces of the bit into your eyes you might ruin them too. Sandpaper or a file would work much better and make sure you use that gray epoxy not the clear stuff.
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 09-24-2010, 03:02 PM

We use Epoxy 330 for gluing opals, and have set stones in wood with it. Be sure to clean the stone with alcohol good and try not to touch the side you want to glue after cleaning. The epoxy is water clear so works well with clear stones/glass.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Didn't know there is a gray epoxy. Thanks! When you use the epoxy to glue down your stones you can mix acrylic paint into it to help it blend into your habitat. Also the epoxy can be thickened with baby powder (talc). Dick
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Sharon,
I asked this question to the guy I buy Diamond willow from and he told me to use a type of super glue [cyanocrylate] . The stuff I bought is "Starbond, high perfomance grade, gel type". You know you are there at the shoe, so it's an impulse buy, but I am pretty sure you can buy gel type super glue at the hardware store. The idea is that it is not runny and you have a bit of time to work with it.
What I use it for is turqouise, either whole or I grind it to dust and keep adding it to the glue and inlay that way. The guy I get my turquoise from also told me this was the thing to use, and he has been a trader on the Navajo Rez for years. So there ya go!
Jim
Old 09-24-2010, 05:00 PM
MyMothersDaughter!

Thanks you guys! I have glass from the ocean, naturally sanded! I'll clean it with alcohol. I think we have gray and possibly some clear epoxy, so time to experiment!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn O. Doughty View Post
Whoa.......don't use that Kutzall on anything but wood. You will probably ruin your bit, and if it throws some stone grit or pieces of the bit into your eyes you might ruin them too. Sandpaper or a file would work much better and make sure you use that gray epoxy not the clear stuff.
My apologies! I went to the Kutzall web site and checked. Their info says the carbide burrs can be used on, besides wood, fiberglas, composites, soft tile and masonry or carving soft stone. I agree with the use of goggles - I never turn my Dremel or my drill press or my bandsaw on without wearing safety glasses. Just makes sense...

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 09-24-2010, 10:00 PM

Sharon...a little off the subject of glue/expoxy, but since you live in Northern California, have you ever visited the 'glass beach' in Fort Bragg? A beach full of beautiful glass 'stones' left over from an old glass factory there...quite pretty, and unusual...sorry, but thought you might be interested since you mentioned attaching stones/glass to your creation. Continued safe carving!
Kenn