Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 AM

Default Finish to preserve driftwood grey

I'm wondering if anyone has found a finish other than urethane or polycrylic that will maintain the weathered grey parts of driftwood and at the same time seal and protect the carved portions?

I know I could just seal the carved portion and leave the grey part as is, but for some reason I like to think that oiling it will help keep it from checking further...

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Finish to preserve driftwood grey

I've used a combination of either Minwax or Cabot sanding sealer followed by spray Krylon matt poly. First I apply several coats of the sanding sealer, allowing it to soak into the loose fibers of the driftwood. This stiffens preserves and protects the raw wood. If your driftwood is "fresh" and not so weathered maybe a single application would work. After letting this dry for a day or so I simply spray on a few coats of either satin or matt poly. I'm partial to Krylon because it can be re-coated at any time. Others need specific dry times between applications.

Just a question.......why do you have an objection to urethane and polys?

Al

Last edited by AlArchie; 11-07-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:57 PM

I just don't like the way they've come out before, when using them. Perhaps user error, but to me it almost looked as though the carving had been shrink-wrapped. That's an exaggeration, but the closest correlation I could come up with. I like textures, and I like how oil finishes preserve them.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:26 PM

I read and tried it put some steel wool in a jug of vinegar and let it set for about a week or more and then try it on a piece of scrap wood, I think you will be amazed at the results.