Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Can wood be painted to look like marble?

Hi everyone,

I have come to the painting stage on my Elk. Finally, the moving to ID put it on hold for a month. Anyway, I have carved it as all one piece including the base. I carved the base to look as though it is 'rock". I would like it to sort of resemble marble. Any tips/ideas on that? I will post pictures of him later this morning. he has been textured and the antlers are done but not attached.

On the road that I have taken,
one day, walking, I awaken,
amazed to see where I have come,
where I'm going, where I'm from.---The Book of Counted Sorrows, Dean Koontz
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg
Default Re: Can wood be painted to look like marble?

Why not use a piece of marble, or better still, (local) granite, for the base? There are all kinds of granite quarries around the country and it looks great polished up. How big a piece do you need? I know a guy that supplies granite for table/desk/counter tops, and monuments , etc.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 PM

manmade counter top material would also work and you can work it with woodworking tools....as for painting it to look like marble, there is a faux painting technique if when done right, looks just like marble......do a google search of faux marble painting.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Hugh Send a message via MSN to Hugh Send a message via Skype™ to Hugh

Nancy, I have painted wood to look like granite, paint the colours, do your shading and highlights, and splatter paint with a stiff brush. Use a darker shade to splatter in the shaded areas, and lighter on the highlited areas. Marble should be able to be painted in much the same way. The wood should be well sealed, and well sanded before starting to paint. Seal and sand, seal and sand, making the surface hard. Then get a piece or photo of marble, paint the base colours, put in the shading and highlights, add the streaks using different shades of paint for different streaks, just play with the painting, make sure its not mechanical. One thing about doing this, if you don't like the effect, do it again, more paint won't hurt. Hope this helps

Last edited by Hugh; 10-04-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Moment

Use a feather from Hobby lobby or any craft store, to make the streaks. The hardest part is in making the base smooth with the layers of paint.
Hugh's suggestion will work fine and Dave's Flaux technique also.
Using real marble or granit would make the piece heavy but then, There isn't a problem there either.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 10-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

I've had good luck painting small rocks for fish habitat dispaly using this technique.

After making sure your "rock" is thouroghly sealed, prime with whatever base color you will be using. I used either a light gray, white, or a pale pink. Gray or white for the quartzite type rocks and light pink for feldspar or some granites. After these are dry, apply a very thin wash of your contrasting "swirls". This can be done with a soft watercolor teardrop shaped brush, or maybe as Kenny suggested, a feather. I've never tried the feather. You can then apply any granular structure you want with either the spatter method mentioned or by very careful application of contrasting colors with a fine tipped brush.

Mineral intrusions can be simulated by the careful application of masking tape and direct brushing of the intruding color.

I'll see if I can find some pics of the results.

Al
Old 10-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Found a picture of some carved and painted "rocks". the ones mounted on the base are the fakes, the ones on the left are the ones I used as reference.

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rocks.JPG (55.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM

Anna does it all the time. She uses sponges for the stippling and a liner brush for the line work. It is popular on some of her painted funiture pieces. Find any craft book on Fuax finishes. I think Home depot has handouts on how to do it. She likes this finish so much she did our kitchen wall in it. The border and the leaves are all painted.
Goody
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDRM0016 (Small).JPG (28.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg PDRM0182 (Small).JPG (41.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PDRM0099 (Small).JPG (30.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg PDRM0098 (Small).JPG (24.5 KB, 36 views)

Some people Plan to cross the finish line in a well preserved package.
Some people cross sliding sideways leaking oil yelling Wahoo!
I'm going in sideways, Ive already got a good start.

http://www.goodysfolkart.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Goodysfolkart?ref=si_shop
Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Michael's craft store sells spray paint that will duplicate several different kinds of rocks.

Claude

My WCI Gallery