Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Finishing and Painting
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Wood Finishing and Painting

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Kringle Addict

Default Re: blush - rosy cheeks

I read through this a couple of times and didn't see you specify if you were using oils or acrylics and if it was mentioned, I apologize for missing it.
If you are using acrylics, I can suggest a transparent red for cheek/nose color. I use acrylics because of the vast color palette that they offer and I hate mixing colors if I don't have to. If I need to cover a mistake, it's much easier to pick up the little bottle of paint the right color I need, than to try to keep some mixed color from drying out until I am finished with the piece...because if you have to re mix, it never matches perfectly...LOL.

My favorite cheek color is "Fire Red" by Ceramcoat. Readily available in most any hobby stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. How you apply it can make a difference too. I love angled shader brushes. Lowe Cornell makes some good ones...golden synthetic bristles. Just a tiny drop of the red will do. I drop it out onto my palette paper, dip the brush in water, pat it on a paper towel just until the "shine" goes away, then dip only the pointed tip of the shader, into the paint. Take one swipe backward and forward on the paper to get some of the paint off and to help spread the paint very gradually away from the point of the brush, part way into the rest of the edge of the brush....sounds complicated but it isn't. Place the tip of the brush where you want the darkest red, with the rest of the edge laying flat on the carving also, and pull the brush around the curve of the cheek. It's like air brushing....
you get a graduating color from dark to light to none at all. It is basically one stroke blending of color from the rose into the regular flesh tone.

I'd practice on scrap until you're happy with what you are doing, then do your santa face.... Just a little practice will have you shading like a pro and you will use this technique on more than just rosy cheeks for your santa....

Rinse your brush well between each application of paint.... you can do the same process over the bottom edge of the nose/nostrils...

I forgot to mention that I use 3 colors on a face. Medium flesh to paint the whole face with, then I use the above process with a ruddier color..caucacsian (sp?) flesh or gingerbread for the lower face and forehead and nose and then the fire red for just the rosy areas..... each color blends into the previous color with this shading technique.

Last edited by susieq; 12-18-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Actually what Gene recommended is close to what I do for blush on carvings. I have 3 shades of pink artist chalk sticks (there's another name for them, but I'm having a senior momemt this morning), put them in a listtle plastic container and use the residue/power of them rubbing against each other and apply it with a brush, just like I do cosmetic blush on me. One pink is light, one is rosy, and one has a brownish tint. The combination creates just the right shade of blush. I have much better luck with it than painting on blush--have more control--and if I get too much, I can rub off some of it (with a soft scotchbrite pad). I don't know why my cosmetic blush wouldn't work--probalby has same ingredients.

I have one small, but somewhat stiff bristled brush that I keep solely for applying blush on carvings.

Donna_T
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_T View Post
Actually what Gene recommended is close to what I do for blush on carvings. I have 3 shades of pink artist chalk sticks (there's another name for them, but I'm having a senior momemt this morning)
Pastels?

Claude

My WCI Gallery
Old 02-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Whew! Claude, that's what it is. Pastels. Pastel sticks. chalk....I love this senior memory experience.
Donna_T