Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 PM

Default vialis knives

anyone use one? steel good?

Vialis's Sauveterre Folding Knife Snake Wood Handle 9cm, Guy Vialis Knives
Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: vialis knives

Yes, the steel is good quality stainless steel. I have quite a few knives with that steel. Swedish stainless. If the heat treat is good, I think you will like it. Easy to sharpen and holds a good edge. The only problem with laguioles is that there are many makers, some good, some not so good. You pay your money, you take your chances. I have bought from this company with very good luck but there are no guarantees. I know folks who have bought one from Lee Valley and were not satisfied with the workmanship.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Here are a couple pics of the knife I bought from the company I mentioned above. I think it was purchased back in 2005 and cost around $55. It's an excellent knife by anyone's standards. Great walk and talk, excellent fit and finish. But as I said above, there is a lot of variations between makers, so you never know. The biggest and most common complaint is that the blade hits the backsprings when it is snapped closed. I got lucky with this one and it is trouble free.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM

it is quite pretty but I want it for carving, for a roughout, so I will destroy it. It seems like the blade is a bit big for carving and it is pricey, I can get a Trevor Ablett for half that and I know those are great knives. What you said about the steel troubles me. I was going to order one last night actually, but the 25 shipping puts it up to about 90 euros. My other concern is that it is actually too big for carving. What do you think??
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

I can't complain about Trevor Ablett knives. I have a little pile of them. A little rough in the tang but no big deal. Great snap in the blades, no wobble, and tough. And most important of all (for you), they have brass bolsters.

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
it is quite pretty but I want it for carving, for a roughout, so I will destroy it. It seems like the blade is a bit big for carving and it is pricey, I can get a Trevor Ablett for half that and I know those are great knives. What you said about the steel troubles me. I was going to order one last night actually, but the 25 shipping puts it up to about 90 euros. My other concern is that it is actually too big for carving. What do you think??
Missed the question on carving. I probably would not use a knife like that for carving, except for tent pegs and stuff like that, unless I really modded it. Not sure what the thickness of the blade is but if it is thin enough, you could cut the blade down like Tom did with his opinel. Also, if you go that route, then reducing the width of the blade would be no big deal either and that would eliminate any possibility of the edge hitting the back spring. Be a lot of work though. I have a how-to thread around here somewhere on that where I cut down an electrician's knife and a Great Eastern cutlery knife. Pretty much the same kind of thing if you want a good carver (but with brass bolsers). A lot less work to buy an Ablett.

I do like the look of that knife. It's a beauty. I'd consider buying it but I have cut way back on collecting knives. About the only knives I buy anymore are carving knives.

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-10-2013, 08:03 PM

yr right about the brass bolsters you remembered!! if you ever want to get rid of any of those trevors let me know. Im all yrs
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM

I am sure this steel must be good, but I find these blades too long for wood carving. It is also the case with my Opinel.

I wanted to buy a Case knife but ended up buying a Flexcut foldable Whittlin' Jack which is enough to have fun without ruining a top quality knife to do the same job (I'm talking about the Vialis that looks superb...). But a Case or a Ross Oar would be a nice whittling knife without needing a lot of work, just some professional sharpening...

Gilles

“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves” - Edna Buchanan

My Blog http://gtech-woodcarving.blogspot.com/

Last edited by gtech; 02-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm View Post
yr right about the brass bolsters you remembered!! if you ever want to get rid of any of those trevors let me know. Im all yrs
When you mentioned that in a previous thread, I took a quick look at my slips and was surprised to discover how few slips I have with brass bolsters. 3 Abletts, the Laguiole, and a few others. That's out of 100-150 slips (hard to keep track).

― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 PM

i got a passion for them why dont know pretty. well if you want to relieve yrself of those brass things spoiling yr collection give me a price. lol