Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 PM

Question Turbo Carver

I am wondering if anyone here has ever used a Turbo Carver. It runs at 400,000 RPMs on air. My husband has suddenly decided he might like to carve eggs since we have an abundant supply of goose, duck and chicken eggs. I don't think he will continue with it so I will end up with the tool in the end I think. Anyway, I would like to know what anyones experience has been with the Turbo Carver or similar tool. Also, are there any small compressors available that don't cost a fortune. We have a regular shop type compressor but a compact one might be nicer to use. Thanks guys

P.S. If anyone is interested in blown out eggs, let me know.

On the road that I have taken,
one day, walking, I awaken,
amazed to see where I have come,
where I'm going, where I'm from.---The Book of Counted Sorrows, Dean Koontz
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Turbo Carver

Nancy
I have a Turbo Carver, Power Crafter from
Treeline. It will really cut but, I have never tried eggs seen some that have been done and they tell me that it's not really hard to do, I don't know. I use mine for alot of the really fine detail, but again
I have used the same bits with my NSK at 35000 and seem to get the same results for the application that I tried to get.
I just use a regular compressor and put another gauge on it that has a little bit of fine tuning so that you can adjust to the pressure that you want.
In retrospect I would find one that is self oiling as it it pain to have to stop and oil the carver. Hope this helps
Bill
Old 04-19-2006, 09:12 PM

I have a "paragrave" it was the original I believe, came out in the late 70's or early 80's, got mine in about '81 or 2.......good machine, had to try a hens egg and did several emu eggs.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys

Bill: The Turbo Carver is self oiling or whatever. Anyway they say no need to oil.

Dave: I remembered you posting some of your emu eggs here and did a search. Found them. Very nice!

So how good are they for wood? I know he won't continue with the eggs so I will have this thing in the end. Are they worth the money for fine detail or is my Foredom as good?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Small compressors tend to run alot, and that means noise ! Speaking from experience I will say that the Silent Aire compressors ARE actually worth the piece of mind if it's something you plan on doing alot of. I have an 80 gallon compressor in my shop, and air is piped into Sheryls studio from there. Naturally she has no problem at all with the NOISE !!! I on the other hand get a bit anxious from time to time. Head Bange HTH. Marc
Hi Marc,
How is the air "piped" into Sheryls studio? Do you mean the compressor is somewhere else, your shop, and the air hose goes through a wall or something, into her studio? The noise is what will bother me. The small compressors are noisy too then? If that's the case guess we'll just go with the big old shop compressor. Hmm.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 AM

I have seen pictures of both paragrave and SCM users doing gunstock engraving with them and in the pictures they looked terrific!
Old 04-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
I have seen pictures of both paragrave and SCM users doing gunstock engraving with them and in the pictures they looked terrific!
A gunstock is one thing I would love to do. I always admire a nice gunstock. I think that would be fun Okay, what is the SCM? Does it have another name?

Old 04-20-2006, 01:08 PM

Hi Nancy, the turbo carver is really small, and hard to hold on too, and the air line to the hand Peace is always in the way,
they also have a history of burning up the turbine .(they all need some oil)
the paragrave system is way over priced,
(there handpieace is a powercrafter),because the ad alot of junk that you will never use!! SCM is about the same as paragrave, but they are back In eastern part of the country.
the powercrafter is made here in provo,utah (the owner of paragraves,son who makes them)
are really nice (i started with a NEY brand had it for about 10 years before it
stopped working) I have had it know for 4
years and had to replace the turbine 1 time the PC is a little on the heavy side witch i like because it fills good when it is in your hand.(on average i use for about 6 hours a day) it is great on wood and eggs etc.
I think you you try it for a day your husband won't get too use it much.
i have posted some pics. in the carving a emu egg post.
as far as air goes just run a line from what you have to where you are going to carve, you will need a good dust collector, as the egg dust will kill you.
hope this helps some.

Stacey
Old 04-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Marci MN

Hi Nancy.

I have the Turbo Carver II. Its gathering dust. I didnt like it. For one the little air compressor (two gallon one) had to keep stopping and running..and when IT stopped so did I to wait for pressure to build up again. My turbo also would start to spit water on my projects. I did buy the water sprayer thing that went with it..but never used it.

I found out that I could use those same burrs in my dremel and have been happy with that set up instead. That air compressor made alot of noise in the house here.

I have done little brown hen eggs with my dremel and those turbo burrs. It works just the same.

You do have to get another collet for the dremel hand piece to hold the burrs. They are sold along with the other dremel burrs.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 PM

Marc, don't want to cause trouble here, but I would NOT use PVC pipe for air. I have seen the results of it blowing up. Yes, it will work in a lot of cases with no problems, but if it ever lets loose, look out. I don't mean to scare those that have already installed it, it just won't be in my house/shop. What I seen blow had been installed for 10+ years. I'll stick to black iron pipe or even copper. Just my 2 cents, hate to see someone hurt.
Bob