Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Smile Transfer Tool

Thanks for everyone's response to my bandsaw blade question. Sounds like I need to purchase a better quality blade. I was looking at these transfer tools in some of my carving catalogs, looks like an electic heating iron used o transfer patterns or images into wood. Since I can't draw very well it looked liked something I could use. Does anyone know anything about this tool....does it really work??...one supplier says you need to buy their specialy paper for it to work well. Just wondering...
Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Cool Re: Transfer Tool

Is that Papa Bear or Pooh Bear? hehehe

OK, about those transfer tools......they do work, and you do NOT need any special paper. But what you do need is some method of producing a mirror image on either a copy machine or one of those fax/copiers. Regular printer ink won't transfer.

I made my own transfer tool...ok, that's because I don't like to buy what I can make. It works just fine in one of those hobby shop wood burner pens.
It is made from a 3/16" brass rod, threaded to go into the recieving end of the wood burner, and the "business end" is made from a 5/8" brass rod cut off to about 1/4" thick, ground and polished to a slight dome shape, and finally brazed onto the 3/16" rod bu drilling a 3/16" hole in the back of the 5/8" domed piece and doing the brazing with a simple propane torch. something that small can be easily brazed with propane.

Or for the cheap price, just buy the tip at one of the hobby shops! (under 10 bucks)

Al
Old 12-29-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Transfer Tool

I have one but rarely use it! as for reversing the pattern, just put it up to the window and trace the pattern on the back side, then copy the tracing...
Old 12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

That'd work! I used the mirror function on my photo processor.....just scanned it in and mirored it, then I could adjust for size and perspective. I did that for the numbers and Soo Line logo for the steam engine carving. Straight mirror for the logo on the depot.

Al
Old 12-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Wayne

I have never used 1
I have just been taking the pattrernpacing either a sheet of carbon paper or transfer paper between the pattern and the wood and going over the lines on the pattern with a pencil

Yes I usually make a copy of the pattern before I start going over with a pencil.
I either scan it to the computer or go somewhere and copy it

So far I have not needed a hot transfer tool
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HouseOfWoodCarving/
Old 12-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

Question DuhQuestion I don't even know what you're talking about. Transfer tool? What's a transfer tool?
I cut my patterns out, cut out a few "keyhole" spots showing major items and exact middle lines. Then I simply lay it on the wood and draw around it with a pencil, marking the major things at the same time.
What am I missing?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:38 AM

Smile Re: Transfer Tool

AlArchie: That's pookeybear, fooled ya,huh.... Sounds like I should just keep tracing the patterns, since no one really sees the advantage of using a transfer tool. You all are sure a lot of help. It sure is nice having this message board with all this knowledge out there. It's like having an encylopedia on wood carving. Thanks again...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know if you're talking about a stylus-type instrument that you use to go over a pattern with transfer (carbon) paper between it and the wood. However, for patterns that I want to put on smooth, flat wood, I've had good luck in photocopying the pattern and then turning it ink side to the wood, and just using a regular clothes-ironing iron on medium-hot setting, go over and over the pattern and it will transfer most of the lines to the wood. I have found that the smoother the wood is before doing this, the better the process works. And by using the mirror image on the copier, it will be the same as your pattern instead of reversed. If your copier doesn't do that, you can make a copy of your pattern on a transparency film, then photocopy it from whichever side you want.

Donna T
Old 12-30-2004, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure this was what the original question was about, but here's a pic of the transfer tool I made. I don't use it for transfering most patterns, but have used it to make scale and perspective copies of specific patterns I want to either paint or burn on finished carvings.

What I've used it for was to get a very specific pattern that I could paint over....my sketching abilities are not that good, and I wanted a real accurate reproduction of the Soo Line RR emblem. It ironed on fairly weak, then I painted over the outlines. I'll use the same method when I put the finishing touches on the 950 Decapod steam engine for the emblem on the tender and the numbers on the engine. Both can be adjusted for the perspective I'm using in the relief carving. Hope it works.......we'll see (eventually)

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stitched.JPG (29.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by AlArchie; 12-30-2004 at 09:29 AM. Reason: addition
Old 12-30-2004, 10:27 AM

Well Al's burner looks just like the transfer tool! and no doubt does the same job...big problem I found with the transfer tool, is timing, has to warm a bit to work, but keeps getting hotter and will burn the paper, so you have to turn it off and let it cool and start over....designer as usual never used one! should have had a heat limiter in it to maintain a constant low temperature! OK that said, I will slip another one in on you ha ha...you can transfer a copy from a copy machine by using acetone. Been so long I can't remember now, I believe I put a light coat on the wood...like a damp sponge etc...not flooded! and lay the paper ink printed side down and the acetone will remove a little of the ink leaving a design on the wood......experiment on a piece of junk first, but it does work and really, it works about as good as the transfer tool!