Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Default slick cutting edge

Is it possible to polish the cutting edge of a knife so slick that it cuts less well than it would if it were less slick? I am talking about the cutting edge, not the bevel. In other words is some "sawing action" on the edge good or bad? And does the size of the steel molecules limit this? I have seen some very highly magnified photos of very sharp blades and they didn't look slick. Is there a point of diminishing returns?
Thanks,
Van
Old 04-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Re: slick cutting edge

There sure is. If you polish it too much you will end up polishing the sharpened edge to where it could be duller than when you started the sharpening process.
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Van, in my opinion, if you want to saw.....get a saw! The smoother you get the cutting edge, the better it will cut. There is a difference between "slicing" and "sawing", but sometimes a slicing motion will go easier than a straight push, thus the skew blades. I sure wouldn't worry about the molecular level of the edge as whatever it is, it's a whole lot smaller than the cellular structure of any wood you will be carving.

As a "frinstance". if you strop using jewelers rouge as an abrasive, the particle size there is .5 micron and most of the other compounds fall into the 1 to 5 micron size. Any of these will put a pretty fine polish on your edge.

I think what Lynn is referring to is stropping and rolling the edge to a steeper angle than you sharpened to. This is more a matter of bad technique than of over polishing/stropping.

Al,

Last edited by AlArchie; 04-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Hmmm...well, microphotographs of the edge of a razor blade compared to the edge of a ceramic knife blade show the razor looks very rough, and the ceramic looks quite smooth. Based on watching some of the Japanese chefs on FoodTV, the ceramic one cuts well and rarely needs any sort of sharpening.

Hmmm, wonder if I could get Kyocera to make a ceramic wood carving knife?

Claude
<edit> Just went browsing the web to see what Kyocera actually has to offer. Here's the ceramic version of "Old Reliable" Kyocera | Products | Kitchen Utensils / Stationery | Kitchen Utensils | Gentlemen's & Ladies' Folder </edit>
<edit 2> Wow! Price is "not cheap": https://secure.kyoceraadvancedcerami...ketknives.aspx </edit>

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery

Last edited by Claude; 04-22-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
"Old" Guy

Claude,
You can sure buy a lot of replacement blades for "ol reliable" without ever getting close to the cost of that thing!!
Terry

John 3:17
<><

http://www.picturetrail.com/terryvance

my WCI gallery
Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM

I strop very often and have never ruined a sharp knife. However when I first started carving I was stropping my knives at an angle (not flat), that did do damage. Like Al said, the only sawing I do is with a saw.

Dave