Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Shaving pony plans/drawings?

I am looking for drawings and or dimensional plans for a "Shaving Pony" devised by Dave Mathews and Robb Young from upstate New York to carve spindles for Windsor chairs.
I would like to make one for working spoon handles.

I have found references, articles and extensive photographs of this useful jig. I have even been in contact with Dave Mathews himself who was kind enough to point me to Popular Woodworking magazine for an article they did on this downsized shaving horse.

Unfortunately, even though I was able to find the article online, the drawing that went along with the article was not online.

Does anyone have this article with the drawing?

I am also trying to get a full copy of the article by contacting the magazine, lest anyone feel that I am trying to circumnavigate intellectual property restrictions...

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Shaving pony plans/drawings?

Just wanted to move this back to the top...over my own Sears sob story...
Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 PM

My daughter taped some wood sculptures from diy and one was spoon carving by John Hopkins In it he had made a neat shaving horse.Not certain if it is what you want or if you can figure the plan out from it. I haven't taken the time yet to check out diy to see if the plans are there but you might check it out if all else fails
Old 02-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Not sure what your looking for exactly but what about this:

The Shaving Pony Page

Steven
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM

Put "Shaving horse" on google...you will find all kinds , types and sizes.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM

Steven,

Yeah, been there & done that.
He was the guy that sent me to the Popular Woodworking magazine article. One if the originators of this design...but no drawing/plans.

Hi Ho,

Google & all sorts of shaving horses, indeed, but not the pony I'm looking for: the one in the article that Steven gave the URL to.

I am looking (specifically) for plans/drawings for David Mathew's & company Shaving Pony.

Thank you, anyway.

Russ
Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM

RussL,

So the the pictures in the link I posted is the shaving pony you want to build? It's just that you're looking for the plans to build it? That being the case, I don't think you really need any plans. Looking at those pictures, it looks really straight forward to build. Looks like the uprights are 1x4s, the jaws (that would hold the spoon) are 2x4s and the pedal is a couple of 2x4s. Drill the holes where they are in picture and use wooden dowels to pin it all together. Looks pretty simple to build. Little experimentation and you probably won't have a problem.

I've already built a shaving horse but after seeing this pony, I'm going build one these to take up less space in the shop. The shaving horse takes up too much valuable floor space.

Steven
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Hey RussL,

I'm assuming this is the article you are referencing:

Popular Woodworking - Tool Test

The actual article about the "shaving pony" is down towards the bottom of that page with heading:

"For Shaving Spindles, Meet the Shaving Pony"

I sent emails to the staff members listed on the Popular Woodworking website asking for the illustration referenced in that article. The great folks of Popular Woodworking magazine responded to me within 15 minutes with a link to the illustration. Here it is:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...mage/P69-1.jpg

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Steven

Last edited by walker; 02-26-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Thanks Steven.
That's the puppy, uh, pony I'm looking for. You're obviously better at this InterWeb stuff than I am. ;-)

I have followed my Craftsman 10" bandsaw through UPS all the way to the local terminal and actually out for delivery before Sears halting of the delivery took effect!
And yet Sears tells me there is nothing they can do to get it delivered now, even to the original incorrect address...
What a pain in the ...
I missed getting the saw by that much!!

It's a conspiracy I tell ya!! :-)

Thanks for you help
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 AM

Here is my Shaving Pony, V 1.0.
Thanks to my friends here in the WCI Message Board , and specifically, Walker & OG, for their help in getting me the details I needed.

I think the second one I will make will vary from the original drawings and descriptions by making it a bit more robust.
But I seldom get any project right the first time around! ;-)

For those who are not aware if this device, or a shaving horse (the big brother to this device), it is used to hold spindles, spokes, spoon handles or any wood that needs to be shaped into a dowel-like condition.

Pressure on the foot pedal clamps the jaws down on the wood while one pulls a spoke shave or draw knife towards oneself. Release the foot pedal and the wood is quickly & easily rotated for the next pass of the tool.

The Shaving horse is a "sit on" contraption and has a large foot print, taking up much shop space, whereas the pony fits into a bench vise and is easily set aside when not needed.

All the best,

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShavingPonyresized.jpg (37.9 KB, 246 views)