Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Sharpening on cardboard???

A few weeks ago I read a suggestion from Claude, I believe, where he suggested glueing a piece of thin cardboard to a flat piece of wood and then using that to sharpen wood carving tools on.
Well I have tried it twice now; and may be experiencing some problems. When sharpening the black stuff on the cardboard is not uniform, with lots of dark streaks mixed in without any dark streaks indicating my wood may not have been flat enough.
So I made a 2nd one. This time using a cork lined 2X4 I carefully sanded until the wood was as flat as can be. I then glued on a very thin piece of cardboard; clamped it for 24 hours; and the same darn thing is now happening to my new one...dark streaks showing it is working, but 40% of it has no dark streaks on it (yet?)
I like the idea Claude presented; but it doesnt seem to be working due to all the area that does not turn dark, or black.

Any suggestions or ideas??

Ken
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Sharpening on cardboard???

Cardboard is thermomechanical pulp with some post-consumer paper mixed into it (and who knows what that was and how much?) The result will be a board with variable density as the pulp slurry pours out onto the screens. What you're seeing is differences in abrasive qualities. But I think you've guessed that, already.
If you had some hot-pressed (smooth) top quality watercolor painting paper, 140lb or 300 would be even better, tub molded and gelatin-sized and expensive, I think you would still see some streaking
I see much the same streaking, even in fresh green honing compound on my leather strop.
I ignore it = next stroke, I move over a little. Half a dozen swipes and I'm done (to my satisfaction). Rolling a gouge during a single pull stroke leaves a wavering line anyway.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM

I have found the knife blades aren't flat as well. Try it on the flat board first... you should be able to determine if it is the cardboard or the blade. Of course this is assuming you apply the compound perfectly even. ;-)
Richard in CO

Last edited by richipper; 01-26-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Can't type
Old 01-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Rookie

I have used a piece of poster board with the white diamond compound to sharpen my leather swivel knives for years. It was the way I was taught, I also tried it on a carving knife, I could not tell a difference.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Actually, I didn't recommend it; I just mentioned that I had heard that some people strop on cardboard. I use a leather strop, and for my detail knife, a flat piece of basswood that has compound rubbed on it (with uneven black streaks, also!)

I agree with RV - the cardboard may not be of exactly equal thickness... Probably doesn't matter, but if you are worried about it, make the first couple of pull strokes with the knife in one position, then make the next couple in a slightly different position (hold the butt of the blade a 1/4 inch away from the strop).

Claude

My WCI Gallery
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM

The mill can set the calendar rollers to smuck out a remarkably even sheet of cardboard. It's the post-consumer recycled crud that is the variable. A vortex filter can only take out so much crap and carvers need better consistency that just recycled cardboard.

Claude: admittedly cardboard is a way to go but the current recycling momentum spoils the original intent.

richipper: you want to talk about Moor Chip knives? Like the tops off old Coke bottles.

dogcatcher: erboard. Yes!!! wet your fingertip and touch the board. If it sticks = starch, like a magazine page, if not, likely some nice kaolin clay which would be a good stropping compound in and of itself.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM

RV, I have never had any Moor products. But I imagine they are like all the others. My Flexcut, Butz, Cape Forge, Barton Premiun chip knives all have uneven edges and shallow faces. I usually try to flatten them on a diamond stone before worrying about the sharpness.Richard in CO
Old 01-26-2012, 03:57 AM

I learned a lot from all the answers; my thanks to each of you.

Now to cherry pick a few questions that some of the answers have raised for me.
richipper;
Other then one small set of real el cheapos when I first started carving a year ago, everything I own is Flexcut. As time went on I began to notice flaws on the edges of a few of my Flexcuts; the smaller the tool the more frequent the flaws on the edges. Then about a month ago I bought a set of Dockyards; every edge on them is poorly formed and uneven. I was really surprised with the Dockyards due to all the good things about them I have read here. I havn't exchanged any because I need them NOW; I carve every day The Flexcut I have been repairing myself; but I hesitate with the Dockyards due to their tiny size. (Any suggestions on this?)
Is this poor workmanship common unless I get into the real spendy stuff?

Claude;
Apparrently your ignoring the "uneven black streaks"; and regarding the uneveness of the cardboard you stated "probably doesn't matter". Do you think over time the uneven thickness of the cardboard will flatten out somewhat with use? My Flexcut knives and carving tools seem to sharpen ok on the uneven cardboard; do you think it worthwhile for me to find some er Board; or will it not make any difference on how sharp my tools get?

I am tempted to try using a buffing wheel to polish the tools; but I am afraid that may hasten the rounding of the tools. Is that a valid concern?

I guess that with next months check I will go the "scary sharp" route. Will my knives and carving tools still need to be polished with this system?

And finally; generally speaking, how many times, on average, can I polish my Flexcut tools until I have to resharpen them; just an average ballpark figure?

Thanks for all the replies; they sure do make my head hurt from thinking lol.
Ken
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM

Are you using corrigated cardboard or what we used to call paste board, like on a cereal box or a tablet back or cracker box etc.. A corrigated cardboard will leave streaks.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

I sharpen my Dockyards on the Flexcut SlipStrop. When I have dinged up one of them, I generally do the reshaping using the side surface of a leather Flexcut PowerStrop with green compound on it. The side of the PowerStrop works well for this as it's a flat surface. I apply the gouge to it, rotating the gouge as I do it, for about 5 seconds, then dunk in a glass of water to keep it cool.

Coker brings up a good point - what kind of cardboard are you using? His suggestions are good ones.

Re: buffing wheels. I'm hesitant to use one because I think it will round over the edge quickly on my tools. The side of the PowerStrop works well for me. If I eventually get a grinder, I'll likely make (or buy) an MDF wheel and use the side of it with compound smeared on. After a bit of time, all the "pores" of the MDF will be filled with a mix of compound and ground off metal and I don't think will matter.

If you are getting small dull places (chips) on the edge of the Flexcut blades, you probably would benefit from Scary Sharp. Get some of the really fine papers from the auto paint supply place (many auto parts stores carry as well) such as the 1000 and 2000 grit papers. Start with 400 grit or 600 grit and work up from there. Use a marking pen to color the bevel of the gouge - as the color disappears, you can easily see where you are grinding. Re-color and adjust your hold as necessary.

My WCI Gallery