Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Default Ramelson Tools

Latest update on our improved efforts. I would like to start with this comment from Rick after sending him some improved gouges. "Yes, I got the 2 gouges. They are the best tools that I have received from you so far. Better looking then any of the tools I have gotten in the past. They are actually sharp." The V tool and U tools are now cross grain tested and won't leave the factory unless they cut. I will be sending Rick some of those as well for more comments. We are working hard at making improvements and currently trying to get a wheel that will help with the scratches in our chisels. I wanted to thank those of you who I have gotten feedback from. You will never know the appreciation we have in trying to help us re-gain our hold in this market. We are also looking to improve our website and will have a forum on there as well. Also, keep watch for a toolmakers blog I am looking at starting in the future
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Ramelson Tools

Had a pleasant surprise Saturday. A pretty young lady came in the shop and asked for me by name. To my surprise it was Johns Daughter from Ramelson tools. Gave her the grand tour of the shop and the class room.

Since I just became a Ramelson dealer in our area I have had the oppertunity to sample and use a wide variety of Ramelsons tools. 75% of the tools cut endgrain right out of the box. The rest just needed a quick honing and a few u gouges needed a little work at the top of the wings. Less than a minutes work on each tool and had them cutting endgrain with no tearing. I demonstrated an example to Johns daughter. I go over every tool that comes through my shop and hone every one to a mirror finish rather they need it or not plus offer a years worth of sharpening (we all mess our tools up as beginners). There were two criteria I had when I decided to offer tools to my students and they were Made in the USA and a reasonably priced tool of decent quality that the students and carvers could afford. Ramelson supplied both. There is no place within a couple hundred miles except Woodcraft to purchase carving tools in our area. I am already selling tools to long time carvers that visit my shop and they are impressed with the Ramelson tools after the rumors they heard about them in the past.

Some people Plan to cross the finish line in a well preserved package.
Some people cross sliding sideways leaking oil yelling Wahoo!
I'm going in sideways, Ive already got a good start.

http://www.goodysfolkart.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Goodysfolkart?ref=si_shop
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM

John sent me two replacement V Tools, and they were very sharp and cut end grain beautifully right out of the package, every bit as good as the last Pfiel I bought. I was also impressed with the weight of the larger V tool, a lot of steel in that tool...it feels really good in the hand. I am very pleased with my new Ramelsons, and wont hesitate to buy more. The only thing is I will be sure and test the tool before purchase to make sure it is a newer one and not the older stock that had problems. Congrats to Goody on becoming a successful tool dealer. That is entrepreneurship at it'sbest.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM

It sounds like things are going great for you! I have several Ramelson's and every now and then, I'll think I should buy some "upgrade" tool. But the bottom line is that they all cut just fine and I always talk myself out of it. I've slowly learned that a lot of the "bad" tools that I bought and relegated to a drawer, really were just poorly shaped and poorly sharpened.....I've managed to reclaim most of them! (also good practice for sharpening). I bet your sharpening makes it a lot easier sale for the tools, and adds to the satisfaction of users, especially new ones. Oh, and thank you again for your recommendation on a supplier for bandsaw blades......you saved me some money there also!

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM

Thank you John, I received my new V tool from you and it was in EXCELLENT condition, it cut threw the wood like a hot knife in butter right out of the package!! You are a man of your word! Quality USA tools at a good price! Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:03 PM

I Admire your hard work and Dedication to the company John. Thank you.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM

Hi all Id like to say John replaced a 116 set for me. I am very pleased with the service and tools i received. Thanks alot John
Old 08-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Nice tool, no handle??

Send a message via Yahoo to mobjack68

Hello John, It is wonderful indeed that you are committed to your customers, your heritage and your product. I prefer when I can to buy American, so thank you.

My wife and I owned and operated a greenhouse/nursery business and after several years of doing, pretty much the "same as everyone else" we made the decision to find a "niche" for ourselves, and we found it without having to reinvent ourselves...our niche worked extremely well for us.

I am a hobby woodworker. I truly enjoy woodcarving and have moved in directions that will allow me to carve in ways (and sizes) that have previously been unavailable to me. To that end, I have been pursuing carving tool shapes to fill the gaps in my users and unfortunately the "oddball" chisels seem to be much in demand these days. About the only real access I have to what I want is eBay and I have been made aware that most of the desirable shapes are being purchased by overseas (not U.S.) buyers. Hence my post to you....Desire to buy American, needing quality steel, buying w/o waiting for auction end, and hoping that I am actually going to get what I bid on...and on....

I know what I am asking is a lot, I have some working understanding of shaping/tempering/finishing steel, I also fully understand the price of tooling and hand production...BUT, I'm going to ask anyway. Have you considered manufacturing some of the vintage shapes?? I have yet to find a chisel that handles as well (weight/length/size/feel) as some of the spoon gouges that were manufactured by the folks from Sheffield at the turn of the century. Their tools had a "delicate" attitude about them that makes carving really neat.

Any chance of this being considered???
Old 08-25-2012, 11:14 AM

You are correct, not that easy. Just being a toolmaker doesn't qualify you to make any tool out there. There are some things to consider. Shapes, size of steel, availability of steel, what style handle and if I don't stock it now, how and where do I get the right handle and what quantity will I be allowed to buy? what types of bends does it have and what type of tooling is needed to make those bends.....I can go on but I think you get the gist. Call me at the factory (phone # on my website U.J. Ramelson Co. Inc.) so we can discuss, if I can make a couple of the sizes without too much trouble I would be willing to try. Can you send me samples of what is pictured?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Nice tool, no handle??

Send a message via Yahoo to mobjack68

Are you kidding??????
It would be an honor and a pleasure to assist in this opportunity. I have a couple of duplicates in popular sizes and if interested?, I have a prototype handle maker that I created to make handles for some unhandled tools I bought on eBay. This handle maker would probably not be a great mass producer, might be a jumping off point for a creation....
Truly honored. ...and thanks for the consideration!