Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Poorly-Made Stubai Tools?

Hey Everybody,

Last weekend I had the opportunity to look at and feel some Stubai tools at a retailer and I noticed something very strange. Members of the forum have commented, occasionally, about Pfeil tools having the tool mounted off-center in the handle or at an angle (meaning not being mounted straight into the handle), but I have heard nothing but good things and rave reviews of Stubai.

Therefore, I expected to find the Stubai tools I went to look at to be no different and even expected to buy the tools I needed. However, this was not the case. When I examined the tools I saw that the tools were not centered in the handles. Indeed, some were so off-center as to appear to be eccentric. Others were not mounted straight, with the result being that the tools were at odd angles to their handles. It was not just one or two tools that showed these problems, but every one of the twenty or so at which I looked.

My question is, did I just find an abnormality, a batch of tools that were complete anomalies and are not representative of Stubai tools on the whole? Or are Stubai tools normally this way? Also, do Stubai tools come sharpened, ready for use, from the factory? The retailer said he sends them out to be sharpened when he gets them from Stubai or the distributor because they do not come sharpened from Stubai.

My experience has left me more than a bit confused and I would greatly appreciate any help you guys can provide.

Michael
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
plain ol' member

Default Re: Poorly-Made Stubai Tools?

Hmm . . can't speak to Stubai tools per se, but out of my 24 Pfiels I had a few that were a little off center (only one that seemed far off) but NONE that didn't appear straight with respect to their angle to the handle (i.e. handle and tool blade on all appeared to me to be parallel). I ended up keeping them all, and figure I'll rehandle when/if necessary on any of these.

I have only heard positive things about Stubai but have never had the opportunity to see any in person. Any of you Stubai owner's out there ever had this kind of problem?

Cheers!
ChuckT

Last edited by chuckt; 08-18-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 AM
Forum Mentor

I have a set of 10 stubai palm tools, every one is centered and straight into the handle.

i would think if you were to direct the problem to customer service at stubai, they would like to know about the tool, and they would fix it,

you expect junk like that if you buy from harbor freight, where i have seen the wrong end put in the handle....
where the tools you buy have hinca, achin or whatever order they wanted to stamp china lettering on them....
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 08-18-2007, 07:50 AM

I just went through what Stubai tools I have, about 30 or so, and they are all fine. All my Pfiels are o.k. too. All that said, the handles are made to be easilly replaced when they get damaged/worn from mallet use so if the price is right you might have found a deal.

Tin Can Sailors 1-800-223-5535
The National Assn of Destroyer Veterans

Last edited by EdO; 08-18-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:46 AM

I have quite a few stubai's and none are like that? Bad batch? New employee? quality control person sick? geez something is wrong....as for sharp, no they don't come sharp from the factory, I don't know of any that do, I have a couple of pfeil tools and they were a bear to finally get an edge on...My preference of what I have tried is still Ashley Iles. imho
Old 08-18-2007, 09:18 AM

How about the grind of the bevel? I have a couple pfeil gouges where the bevel looks lopsided. I hadn't really noticed that until I read Chris Pye's books on tools.

Dundee
Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Forum Mentor

on ebay they sometimes auction off factory seconds,
I wonder if you got into a bunch of them from a shister... selling seconds for full price.?
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 08-18-2007, 09:48 PM

Maybe Stubai's moved some of their manufacturing to China like almost everyone else has.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 AM

a shop here where i bought a few chisels had taken stubai´s out of their selling, because they lately always delivered badly constructed once... some had their tang even coming through the handle... i dont know if that is usual, i know only from this one shop
Old 08-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Here is a section from the Stubai home page, and a contact point at the bottom. If you have a bad tool or complaint, i'd suggest you contact them and explain your problem.

"STUBAI Tools are hand-crafted in Fulpmes, Austria. They are manufactured from only top-quality materials and are fully guaranteed. Now available in the US, these tools are enjoyed by Teachers and Professionals world-wide!
As your STUBAI (Stoo-bye) representative We are extremely concerned that you are 100% satisfied with our products. Please contact us if you have and questions about Stubai tools."
Chris Whillock
Mark Whillock
mark@stubaidirect.com

I sent an email over to them and maybe we can get a direct reply here on the board...give it a day or so and see if they get back to us.

Al

Last edited by AlArchie; 08-19-2007 at 09:16 AM.