Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 PM
plain ol' member

Default What kind of glue for leather to wood for strop?

Hey -

Can I just use regular carpenters wood glue to bond an old leather belt to a piece of wood for a strop? Or do I need to use some other kind of glue? Just want to be sure.

Thanks!
ChuckT
Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: What kind of glue for leather to wood for strop?

Thats what I use and I clamp it for at least a half hour. none have come loose so far. I should say, I lay a piece of wood bigger than the side of the strop and clamp that (I run the leather around on all four sides)

Last edited by Hi_Ho_Sliver; 07-27-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 PM
plain ol' member

Cool! That was my plan. Off to glue. Thanks!

ChuckT
Old 07-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Moment

Haven't had a problem in years using it to bond leather to wood.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 PM

I like to use contact cement. Let both piece set up and then when put together press them flat. Guaranteed that they're not going anywhere!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:52 AM

Contact cement is the way to go. Always stays flexible..I use it when I make my little bridles, headstalls and other leather accessories for my horses, etc. A very small amount is all it takes. Wood glue will work of the article will always stay stiff but if there is any flex whatsoever it will fail eventually.

Last month I put on a pair of boots I found hidden away in the closet. Nice work boots but I guess setting in the dark for so long had an effect on the bond holding the sole to the shoe. I was wondering what that flapping sound was that I heard when I walked around the place only to find it was the boot sole coming off. As the boots were brandnew except for their age I was a little ticked. I went down to Lowes and bought some Gorilla Glue, roughed up each piece and clamped them together. Been wearing them for several weeks now and the bond is still strong as ever. Again, there is some flex to that stuff. I looked up on the net what type of glue they use for shoes and it was a urethane based product which is what that Gorilla stuff is. So.......when you've lost your sole you're not necessarily going straight to Hell!! You can get a temporary reprieve down at Lowes or Home Depot!!!
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Kringle Addict

Contact cement, absolutely.....
as an old leather tooler and sometimes cabinet maker's assistant, I can verify that contact cement is best for both materials. If you have never used contact cement before, you apply a thin coat to both surfaces, let it dry until it is not tacky anymore and put them together.....make sure you put it like you want it the first try because that is where it will stay. You don't get a chance to move it or manipulate it after they touch, it's a done deal.
susieq

ps.
you won't need much so if you have a cabinet shop in your area, ask them to sell you a mason jar full of it. They buy it in 5 gallon buckets or 50 gallon drums and chances are they would just give you some.....work in a well ventilated area
Old 07-28-2007, 12:08 PM
plain ol' member

Hmm - well, too late. I used regular ol wood glue. I let it dry overnight and it seems to be holding up for now. If it comes loose I'll try the contact cement approach next time. It is a somewhat thick piece of leather and very stiff, so hopefully it won't work loose down at the glue surface.

Thanks for the added advice anyway though. I'll try contact cement the next time around.

Cheers!
ChuckT
Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 PM

Well ventilated area??? What? Are you kidding? That's half the fun of working with that stuff!!! Even if you do a lousy job by the end of it you could care less because you're in such an "Elevated" state!!!
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 07-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Forum Mentor

sorry i got in here late, to make a comment,

i usualy use elmers spray adhesive like most folks use on sandpaper disks. on leather or stickimg a pattern on,

unless i got some of the school elmers contact adhesive, with the brush in the lid, 4 oz bottle

on hones i use pigskin becuse its so thin, and stable it's not spongy and dont wear the edge roung as fast as thick leather...when mounted on a hard backer board...

coat both sides that go togather thats wood and leather, let dry and put togather,

for keeping the insides of gouges i use leather boot string wrapped on different size dowells for maintence of the inside
thomp51la@gmail.com