Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Default Die Grinders & Bits

I wanted to show how I use my die grinders and pictured are my most used bits to include homemade eye tool with shank. The wood is cured cherry very hard but no match for a pro die grinder and SaburrTooth bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diegrinder2.jpg (54.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg diegrinder1.jpg (55.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg diegrinder3.jpg (70.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:21 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

Default Re: Die Grinders & Bits

thank you Don!
This is the kind of info that really helps me out- seeing how folks use their tools and attachments. I have lots of wood to practice with, but people that have to buy wood might be afraid of using a tool for fear of ruining a good piece of wood. Or just don't know what tools to get, so pictures are worth a lot.
Good deal!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:54 PM

How does the 'eye bit' work? Awesome SaburrTooths BTW.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM

David, I adapted a plug cutter first you determine where your eye goes then tap it with a light hammer. After you have set the eye tool, do this to keep it from walking chuck it down in the grinder and place it back in the cut you did with the hammer. Do this with the grinder off now with very light pressure turn the grinder on low speed. After you establish the eye socket crank up the RPM's and burn the eye ball to shiny black. This is only good for critters with round eyes and dark eyes but it is very fast.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Amazin' I looked at the eye and thought, "That can't be burned like that, can it?" Apparently so. Is this a known technique, or did you invent it?
Old 11-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidinsarasota View Post
Amazin' I looked at the eye and thought, "That can't be burned like that, can it?" Apparently so. Is this a known technique, or did you invent it?
Years ago I bought a 20 piece set of eye tools or eye punches from woodcarvers supply. I started chucking them down in my 3/8" drill and sort of burning them in the drill is not fast enough to realy burn the wood. I had a set of plug cutters from WoodKraft with 1/4" shank that became my current set of eye tools. I don't think I came up with the idea first just my own way for sure.