Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Default dewalt 1x30 belt sander/sharpener

Ok, I bought some different belts from lee valley for my sander to try to make a sharpener out of it.

I bought 1 40 micron, 1 20 micron, 1 15 micron and the leather belt.

trying to sharpen an old timer 340 T I bought for my son off ebay.

I started with the 40 micron and then proceded through the various grits and then finished up with the leather belt which I loaded up with flex cut gold.

I ran the blade across the various grits about 5-10 times on each side of the blade with a light amount of pressure and making sure the blade didn't get hot.

It seemed to work pretty good but I found it to be diffacult to load the belt with compound. first I tried to turn the sander on and just hold the compound on the belt but that seemed to waste a lot of compound because it seemed to just fly everywhere.
Next I rubbed the compound on by hand.that seemed a little better the belt turned black and then I could apply the compound with the machine on (still seemed to waste some compound)but it was faster and compound is cheap.

All in all I like the way it worked I still have some learning to get it just right.

some questions I have are.

once you load the belt with compound can you change compounds or are you stuck with what you orginally started with?and if you change compounds do you have to clean the old stuff off or do you just apply it over top?

any advice or trick would be great .

Thanks Mike
Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
North of 49

Default Re: dewalt 1x30 belt sander/sharpener

Mike, I don't know about changing compounds but if the belt turned black, the compound on it is working. A word of caution, If the belt is turning towards you (counter clockwise) be very careful. It could catch the blade and throw it and probably at you. Much safer to have the belt running away from you. They do a great job and with right belts can be used as a grinder also. Hope this is helpful.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 AM

Mike, I have a 1x30 belt sander hanging upside down, I rarely use it to sharpen as I use my Tomz Knife Massager for that. I do love the leather belt and use it all the time. Like Dicky said the black is good, shows it's working. As for switching compound I do it all the time without removing anything, never had a problem. I add compound with the machine on, it does kick some back but it's alot easier then rubbing it on manually. One suggestion is to remove the belt after each use or at the end of your carving session, other wise it will stretch out. Hope this helps!

Dave
Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Dicky and Dave thanks for your replies. They were helpful

I heard that the belt should be moving away from you instead of twoards you before but I don't understand the logic behind it. If the belt is spinning twoards you I would think it would throw the item being sharpened down towards the floor and if the belt was moving away from you then I would be scared that the item being sharpened might be thrown twoards your face or head.

Not trying to start an argument I really don't know which way is better.Has anybody ever had a knife thrown and what was the out come . please indicate which way the belt or gringing stone or polishing wheel was spinning. Thanks.

Oh and any other tip on sharpening with a sander would be great.

Thanks Mike
Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 PM
BaBo

Send a message via AIM to Larry Bev

Mike i mounted mine on ply wood two pieces fastened together on 90 degree angle bolted sander on it laid it down on back running away from me and it gives me much better angle for grinding or polishing knife blade.
Larry
Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM

MIke, I just find it easier to control with the belt going up, guess what ever works ??

Dave
Old 09-14-2010, 10:30 PM

Mike, one important thing I forgot to mention was to use light pressure.

Dave
Old 09-14-2010, 10:46 PM
North of 49

Mike, if the belt is going away from you, the sharp edge can't dig into the belt and catch. If you get the angle wrong while running away from you, the worst that can happen is that the back edge will catch and the tool will be moved away from you and not towards you. I might add that as Dave mentioned, a light touch will minimize chances of any of this happening.

Last edited by Dicky; 09-14-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Dave and larry, I think your right it dose seem eaiser to control with the belt going up and you can see what your doing better.

Light pressure seem to be the action. When I first set it up I thought this is going to be easy but like most things theres a learning curve but so far I'm pleased.And with pratice I'll only get better.
Larry I might have to build a stand like you have. That a nice idea.
Thanks for the replies.

Mike
Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM

Mike,
I have a similar rig, only my belts are a little longer and I have two step down pulleys to adjust the speed. I don't use mine to sharpen knives any more because I have found the paper wheels work much much better. I use mine to finish my scales on and that's about it.

If you want to change the paste on the leather belt, do NOT mix others on top of it. Instead, clean your leather first. I use pumice based shop soap and it works just fine. When you clean it, try not to make the belt too wet or it will shrink. Pay attention to what was said about removing the leather belt when you are finished with because it WILL stretch, and when that happens it won't work any longer.

When I did my knife sharpening with this machine, I also had a belt that never had anything put on it. It worked pretty much the same as my razor strop, but was faster.

Ray

http://www.straightrazorsharp.com