Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Crooked and Hook Knives Video

I've been making and using crooked and hook knives for years. Drawers and bags full of them and I keep making them because I love wood and am always experimenting with variations in design. I use my knives to make everything from selfbows to bowls to spoons and scoops....walking sticks, as well as camp craft and bushcraft items. I saw my first crooked knives in northeastern Canada back in 1971 and began studying the design at that time. Like many at this site, I'm a wood fanatic enthralled with the beauty of wood. There is, however, a distinction between a true crooked knife and a hook or spoon knife. So I posted this YouTube video to explain the differences:

YouTube - Bushcraft Crooked and Hook Knives
Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Crooked and Hook Knives Video

Thanks, Woodsroamer, for sharing your experience with crooked knives. In the northeast woodlands these are called mocotaugen. You might be interested in this link:

Mocotaugan: The Story and Art of the Crooked Knife

My WCI gallery:
Pallin's Gallery
Old 01-09-2011, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Crooked and Hook Knives Video

Yes, that's correct. Mocotaugan is the term used. I understand that there are some rules or laws or something of that nature (someone might be able to explain that better) restricting the use of that name (and other Indian product names) by artisans who are not Indian or Native American, especially if they intend to sell them. I don't sell my knives however.

I'm not sure how valid that is but several woodworkers have told me that so I refer to the tools as either crooked knives or Mocotaugan-like knives. Again, I may be wrong on this regulation but two of the people who told me this were Native American. So I just play it safe and say, Crooked Knife.