Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Carving Safety for your wrists

I just got back from a glass shop where the owner cut his left wrist with glass. Cut an artery and nerve. Scared the heck out of me. I use a glove on my left hand and a thumb shield for my right. Question does anyone know of source where you might find wrist protectors? I do not relish a run to the ER. Thanks GT
Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Carving Safety for your wrists

WOW hope he doesn't loose any use in that hand.

Maybe use an old glove, cut the hand out and slide it on before the glove. You could also use Kevlar thread (sold at flyfishing/flytying shops) and sew them together. Or maybe a welders glove you could also cut the hand out of and slide over your forearm.

Last edited by SmallJawz; 10-20-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

They have gloves designed to give upper wrist protection, or you can purchase safety sleeves .

Another simple option would be to have a heavy leather wrist strap made , which should protect from all but the most agressive cuts.

Ash
Old 10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

With all due respect, please, if you have to wear wrist protectors when you carve, you are doing something very wrong in your carving technique. A carving glove should provide sufficient protection to the holding hand and a thumb protector to the tool hand. You can purchase a long welders glove if you are very nervous about this, but it really shouldn't be necessary.

I can only speak from experience, but you can over-protect, and by doing so you will give yourself a false sense of security and loose respect for the cutting edge. If you use sharp tools, you will occasionally get cut; if you use dull tools, you will still get cut, but the damage will be worse! Believe me, I've been cut in just about every immaginable place and then some.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 PM

I agree with Bob....except Bob needs a lap protector LOL If you are serious about wanting wrist protection on the left hand, buy a pair of welders gloves...they have cuffs like the old gauntletsApple