Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 08:07 PM
WhittleBear Carver

Default Re: Butz Detail Knife

The funny thing about all this is I thought about getting the Butz knife a while ago, but I thought I'd make one of my own first to see if I liked the handle. I liked it so much, I decided not to get one! And now I'm glad I didn't.

I used a Stanley folding knife replacement blade I bought a while back and never used--it was too flexible in the folding knife--Stanley says it's 0.020" thick. But it's a flexible blade that I wanted in the Butz knife since all my other knives are rigid. The blade is 1 3/4" long. The handle is made from a piece of cherry wood off one of my trees, and sprayed with several coats of Rustoleum high lustre gloss clear lacquer. Here's a pic of my Butz knock-off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butzknife.jpg (25.6 KB, 133 views)
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM

Nice job just carving, I guess I should have bought a knife from you instead of Butz. Ice Cream

Dave
</IMG>
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Dave...

Sit down an write a politically correct nasty letter to "Butz"! I posted last month that I had bought a Walnut Hollow knife and had the same expireince with it as you've had with the Butz. After my letter to Walnit Hollow I received a package of free stuff including a replacement knife. It's not any sharper than the first one but now of I have two knives.

You really have to be careful when purchasing carving implements. Unless they say pre-sharpened and ready for use you can bet that you've got some work ahead. And even then their idea of sharp and a carver's idea of sharp are at opposite ends of the spectrum!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Handyman
I picked up a Butz detail knife today at Woodcraft, it is as dull as dull could be, is this normal ? I have a Flex cut detail and others that came nice and sharp, I assumed they all came sharp. I really liked the shape of the blade and the fact that it was thin. Should I get it sharpened or return it ?

Dave
I bought a Butz knife at Woodcraft in St. Louis. Before I left, they sharpened the knife free of charge. I have to tell you that it is one of my favorite knives. I modified the handle a little, and it is sharp as can be. It holds its edge! If you get that knife sharpened, I believe you'll find it a good knife. Gwen
Old 11-16-2007, 08:04 AM

On the other hand, if the knife is cheap enough initially and worth the time you will put in it...........there is something to be said for sharpening it yourself and putting the edge you want on it! and probably what they would say to you if you contacted them.....
Old 11-16-2007, 02:59 PM

At this point I take the whole thing as a learning lesson and time to move on.

Dave
Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM

Hey Eddy thats funny that you bring up walnut hollow, I also bought one of those knives several years ago and of course never used it because it was dull, (you think I would have learned from that). Maybe time to write two letters.Ice Cream BTW the Clearwater Woodcraft is a great store, I felt like a kid in a toy store.

Dave
</IMG>
Old 11-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Hey JC, that is one cute little knife. I like the knot toward the end - it looks like an eye.

Parker
Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Dave... The WH knife is cheaply made but after a correct sharpening it goes through basswood like a table knife through butter. I've paid $10.00 plus for knife blanks and had to make my own handles. This one came with a handle so I'm ahead of the game, especially since I only paid half price for it. You've got to love those Michael's %50 off coupons!

I don't want to take anything away from Little Shavers but it's not all that difficult to put a good edge on a knife and in fact is great practice. It's like learning to ride a bike. You may fall off a bit at the begining but once you get the hang of it nothing can stop you.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 PM

Just to play devils advocate, and I would rather get a sharp knife also; but I think this is kind of a european/master carver thing that assumes you:
A, know how to sharpen a knife
B, will sharpen the knife to your exact specs and modify as you see fit.
Just stuff I have read about.
Jim