Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Woodcarving Tools, Technology & Sharpening

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 09:04 PM

Default best hardwood for knife handles..

I know there are some knife makers in the crowd here, I would like to know your choice of handle material?? ..I got several blades I want to put handles on..I do have a nice large block of mahogany..that I can cut down to make some handles...whats your choice of best hardwood for carving knife handles.?? ...bill#1
Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Default Re: best hardwood for knife handles..

I've been using several different woods and happy with all. To me the major difference between them, if they were all patterned alike, would be the finish not the wood type. Slippery, smooth, rough.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 AM

I've also used a variety of hardwoods and have found no advantage of one over another. Whatever you have on hand will work. I like the look of figured woods and laminations of different colored woods on my handles.

I rough cut the outline on the blanks with the bandsaw. Fit the blade and glue the stack with epoxy. I use a rotory carver and sander for shaping & smoothing.

If I didn't have those and was going to shape with knives, I would choose a tight straight grain that carves well.

Just make sure you keep the blade covered while you are shaping the handle. I've nearly hurt myself a few times when the blade became exposed accidently.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 PM
^Knife Junkie^

My two favorites for the handles would be Bloodwood and Bolivian Rosewood, you can get pieces of either at Rockler or turning supply stores. They don't carve to easily by hand, but both are tough hard and dense with a beautiful grain. They are oily but not slippery the wood feels almost like plastic when it's sanded smooth and waxed or finished however.
I use all kinds of woods including different Mahoganies and I could make a list a page long of different woods and why I like them over other ones but the short list Bloodwood and Bolivian Rosewood on top. For the top of the domestic and less expensive woods, Claro Walnut and Tamarack
Carl

Niin paljon puita, niin vähän aikaa
R.I.P Cliff Letty. June, 17 1937-Jan,8 2009

My WCI Gallery

My Youtube Videos
Old 05-03-2009, 04:43 PM

I'm with Herb. My two favorite knives are Denny blades that I mounted in red cedar handles that I shaped, formed, and epoxied in myself. One might think that red cedar is too soft but I've been using them for over 5-years and they've yet to fail me. (knock on wood!)
Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Forum Mentor

Bill,
Ive made a few knives to support my carving habit, and found a great bargain with woodcraft they have domestic and exotic hardwood grab boxes for sale,
the pieces are usually pretty generious sized you can get 1 or more handles from each block, and the boxes weigh bout 10 pounds

its the best way ive found to get different species of woods cheap. i think the domestic box cost $19.00 plus $10.00 s&h..

last box i got was maple, birch, curley quilted and burl.

in the past i have salvaged crates and broken furnature, and my nephews recurved bows he made to weak,,,

a few folks have sent me some great woods to try, some hard some super hard, i find bandsaw or scrollsaw cutout then straight to a drum sander for shaping is the fastest method

Picasa Web Albums - thomp - knives 2009-0..."]some of my knives...
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 05-03-2009, 09:27 PM

I wouldn't cut up a good piece of expensive carving wood. This is the perfect opportunity to use those scrap pieces you didn't want to throw away.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Thanks everyone for their responses...its always great to know there is others thinking or have thought of the same things you do....Thanks again...Bill#1
Old 05-03-2009, 11:40 PM

i Choose best hardwood for carving knife handles by
my style and band and looking type of wood ^^
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
buckbeans

what is the best to hold up to frequent washing and what finish is recommended?