Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Relief and Chip Carving
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Relief and Chip Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Default relief carving of mountain lion

I am looking for a pattern for a relief carving of a mountain lion resting on a rock or log. I want to carve a fire place mantel for my doughter and her husband. If anyone can direct me to a source for this carving I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.
jemeckler
Old 08-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Default Re: relief carving of mountain lion

Hello, try Moore Designs Moore Designs - Over 500 quality rough-outs plus accessories for the woodcarver. there might be something there I believe they have patterns too.
Have you carved a mantel before?
Much success with your project.
Kathy

My WCI Carver Gallery Images
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...3480&protype=1
The Flute Portal
http://www.fluteportal.com

Back Roads and Tall Trees
Old 08-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy

While doing a mountain lion carving, I did a WEB search for pictures. A good many of them had the lions in a resting position. My recommendation would be to find one you like and make your own pattern. All you really need is to get the cat's outline to the size you need, as you will carve away any other detail anyhow. You can then add trees, rocks, wlhatever else you want ot make it interesting.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 08-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Sanding Class Dropout

You might want to checkout the book "Relief Carving with Bob Lundy- Scenery in Wood", it has an excellent step by step relief carving plus pattern of a Puma with what appears to be mountains in the background.
It was published by Schiffer Publishing, which I think Fox Chapel now owns, I don't know if they bought out their entire catalogue or not.
ISBN 02-60641.
A quick Google shows lots of hits for this book, not sure how old the hits are.
BTW If you take a look at this url below, Http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/ca...4/webdoc4.html
you will see a rendition of this pattern 3rd pic down, not my gallery or carvings.Talking
Cheers

OG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemeckler View Post
I am looking for a pattern for a relief carving of a mountain lion resting on a rock or log. I want to carve a fire place mantel for my doughter and her husband. If anyone can direct me to a source for this carving I would be most appreciative.

Thank you.
jemeckler