Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > FAQ > Message Board FAQ, Suggestions and Feedback
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Chipmaker

Cool Copying patterns

I am getting started with carving on walking sticks and am having a problem copying patterns to the round surface. Is there an trick to the transfer? Thank you, Carl
Old 09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Wood Carving Pattern Make

Default Re: Copying patterns

RVR ... are you working on green wood. Sometimes the sap will prevent graphite or carbon from sticking to the wood.

I would suggest that on dry wood you cut along the outside edges of the pattern allowing about 1/4" margin. Then cut a piece of typewriter carbon paper or graphite paper the same size and shape of the cut pattern. You can use rubber bands or transparent tape to hold the two papers in place against the wood.

If the pattern paper buckles alot try cutting small darts or slits from the margin area into the pattern area to allow the paper to overlap. That will let you work around thick areas or knot holes.

I prefer a red ink pen to do my tracings, that way I can clearly see what I have or have not gone over.

After you have done a few I expect that you will soon be simply drawing the basic lines of the pattern onto the wood directly.

Hope this helps.

Susan Irish

Talk with me directly through LSIrish.com Contact Form.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:52 PM

If you follow Susan's suggestions you can n't go wrong. I find that continuing the markers for eyes mouth and chin arounf=d the stick help the alignment of the face.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:24 PM

I gave up trying to copy patterns onto round surfaces. It's a little like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Instead I draw just enough of the pattern on the wood to get me started and then redraw and add more detail as I go along.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM

i don't know if this will help but on some of my patterns i have used a tracing wheel like seamstess use for cloth whent around the pattern made the holes then put it on the wood and dusted it w/ carbon or blue chalk for chalk boxs but this don't work for the detail where the holes are to far apart!, the chalk sticks alittle better then tring to get the pattern by carbon paper and it didn't wrinkle up like when u.r tring to trace- it's a whole lot easyer w/ big patterns,but the blue will stain the wood keep that in mind on what pc. u.r working with!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

p.s u have to trace the pattern w/the wheel on cloth or something soft that will give of a 1/8in. before putting it on the wood--for the details i take a stickpin and punch the holes by hand its a lot less work then tracing the whole pattern!
that wheel is called a pounce wheel to trace your patterns[just come to me]11/5

Last edited by chipmunk; 11-03-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM

Hey Carl I find if I cut the pattern outside the lines and just use any glue ( School House Type) then glue it to the stick after removing the Bark ,then just cut thru the paper works for me. I do it on all my pattern transfers for my carvings. Merle
Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
SantaCarverHolic

On occasion I have temporarily taped a pattern onto my wood and then punch holes along the pattern lines with a nail and then connected the dots later on with pencil.
*<[]:о)}}