Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Animal and Bird Carving
Connect with Facebook

Nicholas Woodcarving
Animal and Bird Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Carving pattern for a bear.

Yes i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good free bear pattern? I am just starting carving and want to carver animals for my first project. I just thought that a bear would be a good start that is easy. I just can't find any good patterns for free. I don't want to get a lot of money invested just yet in carving until i know that i will be serious about it. And pattern books cost money. Any ideas for me. Anything would be greatly appreatcated!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Carving pattern for a bear.

Hi Gun,
Welcome to carving and to a great 'get help' site. I've got a good, simple, beginner stage *bear pattern in my reference file. *It was in one of our carving magazines 2-3 years ago and it's called a Roly-Poly bear (I think Desiree Hajny designed it.) *You can put as much detail in it as you want or make it a stylized/smooth one. *Email me with your snail mail address and I'll photocopy it and put it in the mail on Monday.
Donna T
Old 10-08-2004, 10:41 PM

thats a good one....Donna sent it to me, but I haven't a clue where it is....but I did carve it!
Old 10-09-2004, 08:03 AM
randy48

I like doing a search on Google Images to find my 'patterns/inspiration'. I don't use patterns in my woodworking or carving, can't see spending the money on them. It's not as easy to use a picture, you only get one view of the subject, where regular patterns will give you all sides of it.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Gunnar,
I got the address. Thanks. I'll put it in the mail. I'll look through the file tomorrow and see if there's anything else I can include.

Some suggestions: subscribe to carving publications like Wood Carving Illustrated, Chip Chats (the publication from National WoodCarvers Association), or the newer Carving Magazine--they come every other month and have lots of carving ideas, patterns, help, andn photos of other people's carvings,etc. that can give you ideas and inspiration. They are especially helpful to new carvers.

The other idea is to get wildlife magazines to use for reference materials. I live in Missouri and our Missouri Conservation Department Magazine has super, color photos of animals and birds in their natural habitat. I've seen similar publications from other midwestern states and their animal photos are equally great.

One final idea...check to see if there's a carving club nearby. Many have libraries of books and patterns that you can check out and the members will be great help to you, too.

Donna T
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. Since we are in the same basic neck of the woods (I am from north central arkansas MTN home to be presice) Do you know of any clubs around hear? I have been looking at carving magazines lately. The one i have has a pattern for a bear but it looks pretty hard (it is pretty small). I have plenty of hunting books so i am lots of pictures. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hello again,
Here's the contact information on the Mountain Home carving club. *Try them. *I think you'll find lots of support for a new carver.

North Arkansas Woodcarvers
President: Jay Nottingham
2706 McCracken Ridge Rd.
Mountain Home, AR *72653
Phone: 870.431.7726
Email: carvinj@mymtnhome.com

Another hint: If you find a pattern you'd like to try, but it's smaller than you want, take the pattern to a photocopier and just increase the size until you get a pattern for a carving the size you want. The little bear pattern that I'm sending you makes a bear about 2' wide and about 5-6 ' long and tall. I've made it in a miniature size (less than 2' square) by reducing it by at least 50%, and one that was 3/4 size by reducing the pattern to 75%. It's so easy to do it that way.

Donna T
Old 10-14-2004, 03:33 PM

Thanks agin Donna_T for the patterns and the help with the carving club. The patterns came in today and they look great. Expecally the pig (my mother loves pigs). Thanks
Old 10-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

You are entirely welcome. Glad I could help get you started. I went ahead and cut out a couple more of the little bears and still find them cute and as easy as you want to make them or as detailed as you want to make them. I usually go ahead and put hair on them, burn them, and finish them like they are BIG BEARS.

Being from Arkansas, I figured you'd like the little piggy pattern. I just grabbed 3-4 patterns to include to give you some things to start. Hope you make contact with the club and get good support and help from them.
Donna T
Old 10-19-2004, 10:18 AM

Donna...thanks! You are always sending someone a pattern! If you didn't have a room full of patterns, maybe we could reciprocate sometime!! : :P