Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Animal and Bird Carving
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Animal and Bird Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Carving an elephant

For my second carving I want to do another elephant. [ post on first carving ] But this time with new (much nicer and much sharper) tools and a much larger piece of wood (also, basswood vs. red cedar). I hope to do something over 6 in tall. I will be leaning towards realism, although probably stylistic in some ways. I don't want to work from a pattern, will create my own drawing from a variety of photos. One of my students just went on an African safari and promised to take pics of elephants for me! Cowboy

I did a search to see if anyone here has done an elephant and did not turn up much.

I am really curious to know if anyone here has done an elephant and if so, do you have pics of your carving and/or a story and wisdom to share?

Also, I am wondering if anyone who has the book Art Anatomy of Animals can tell me if it is worth getting for this project?

Thanks!!

Last edited by knightflight; 09-12-2006 at 10:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to knightflight For This Useful Post:
patriclop2pl (11-09-2013)
Old 09-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Senior Moment

Default Re: Carving an elephant

SADLy, I do not have a picture of mine, I did years and years ago. That was before I started taking pictures of my work and before digital cameras. However, I can't stress researching your subject, again, I don't research enough. I get an idea in my head and start sketchingg it out on paper then wood and start carving. I am not a purest when it comes to carving a subject. Maybe I should but it ain't my bag. However, you can't go wrong studying your subject. Sorry, I couldn't help you more.
Oh, Practice, practice, practice and practice some more.
I am still practiceing today.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 09-12-2006, 10:53 AM

I haven't carved any elephant figurines as it sounds like you want to do. I have carved a couple of small elephant pins that my wife and her friends seem to go nuts over.

HERE's a link to a not very good picture of one, if interested. I misremember if I found a pattern somewhere, or just traced a photo to get the design.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Major Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to kcwaterguy

Yahoo and all the other search engines have a great search feature for Images.... I use them often....

http://img.search.yahoo.com/search/i...phant&ei=UTF-8

No need to go to Africa when it can come to you.

Sean

My online album

Old 09-12-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcwaterguy
Yahoo and all the other search engines have a great search feature for Images.... I use them often....

http://img.search.yahoo.com/search/i...phant&ei=UTF-8

No need to go to Africa when it can come to you.

Sean
Thanks Sean, but getting pics is definitely not my concern, actually there are probably too many pics of elephants to choose from! I guess what I am looking more for would be comments on other folk's experience with carving elephants plus any experience using the animal anatomy book I mentioned.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Moment

Depends on what you are really looking for, Again, not being a purest, I went for the general body shape, then the head , ears, trunk, then the legs, I did not put any texture to the body and the legs were straight but then to, It was only about 3 inchs high, long and about 2 inchs wide. I do remember a tail
Ya see, Just a basic elephant.Painted it a medium grey. But then, It is at the lake of the Ozarks, Probably in a cabinet above the stool. Seems that is where my sister in law displays my stuff. Maybe she is trying to tell me something ya think?

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 09-12-2006, 12:17 PM

I have enough trouble just trying to carve a turkey!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecree
I haven't carved any elephant figurines as it sounds like you want to do. I have carved a couple of small elephant pins that my wife and her friends seem to go nuts over.

HERE's a link to a not very good picture of one, if interested. I misremember if I found a pattern somewhere, or just traced a photo to get the design.
I like it. What are the dimensions?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_S
Seems that is where my sister in law displays my stuff. Maybe she is trying to tell me something ya think?
Quite possibly....
Old 09-12-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi_Ho_Sliver
I have enough trouble just trying to carve a turkey!
So would it be too ambitious of me to carve a flock of birds perched on the elephant's back whilst at a watering hole? Sarcastic