Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Animal and Bird Carving
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Animal and Bird Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to Inadv
Default 2X4 carving sequel

Since the width of a single 2X4 is only about 1.5" the size of a carving is seriously limited. So I had the bright idea to glue-up 2 - 2X4s side by side. I carefully sanded and matched the grain as close as I could, and the results were great. I was so proud as I carved, but the stain tattletaled on me in a big way. LOL That thin dark line just jumped right on out there.

Anyways the carving came out pretty well and I'm satisfied that it can be done. There will be a few more pine carvings in my near future. I kinda over did the base/habitat on this one, and it detracts from the subject a bit. Live and learn.

Please offer any advice or critique you might have.

L.P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2X4Dolphin6.jpg (57.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 2X4Dolphin7.jpg (68.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 2X4Dolphin8.jpg (62.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 2X4Dolphin9.jpg (72.3 KB, 70 views)

Inadv

Rule 1: Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
- Mark Twain
Rule 2: There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
- George Carlin
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2X4 carving sequel

Another fine carving L.P. I don't see any problem with the base at all. Your imagination created a fine habitat once again.
I like carving pine, but I avoid yellow pine like what they build houses out of like 2X4's. White pine, or shelving boards carve very nicely....William, here on the board carves them beyond anyone I've seen here.
Christina
Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
torpidhummer

Send a message via Yahoo to torpidhummer

Very well done LP, your experiement with the 2X4 paid off very well.
Oscar
Old 04-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Buffalo Bif

Send a message via Yahoo to Buffalo Bif

Maybe you would like to try a 4x4 and avoid the glue line?
Nice dolphin, Larry, I don't mind the habitat.
My Blog
Old 04-29-2011, 09:20 PM

Christina: I'm pretty sure this is not yellow pine, but it is construction grade none the less. Cheapest stuff you can get from Lowes. These pieces were cut-offs from the bonsai shelves I built when we moved here last Sept. I'm going to pick up a few more boards soon along with some of the "select" 3/4" shelving boards like what William has been using. His carvings are just so far beyond my abilities that I can only admire... Sigh.
Oscar: Thank you good sir.
Brian: I have looked at the 4X4s and they all appear to be either yellow pine or treated lumber, neither of which I think would be forgiving enough for my abilities. The glue line is something that I'll be paying more attention to in future projects. It's actually not that bad, just a little distracting.

L.P.

Inadv

Rule 1: Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.
- Mark Twain
Rule 2: There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
- George Carlin
Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Looks nice to me. Great job!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Nice work, L.P.!
Have you looked for some yellow poplar (also called tulip popular)? A bit harder than basswood, but a nice even grain. Generally white wood, but with some pale green tints to it in places. Often sold for balusters. A source of supply other than the DIY store: check the phone directory and see if there is a cabinetry/molding/milling business around. They may have cutoffs. Poplar is used at times for crown molding, etc.

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 04-30-2011, 01:23 PM

I would guess this is fir or spruce, but neither is particularly easy to carve, so great job making this look so good. My only criticism, and you alluded to it, is I'm not crazy about the sand. But I love the little curls of "water" you made.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Bill: Thank you, I appreciate your compliment
Claude: Tulip poplar is quite common around these parts, and some sizes are available at our local lowes. I have carved it before and found it relatively easy to work with sharp tools. It is also quite sturdy and would probably be better than the pine for cracking or breaking. I have aspirations of getting fairly large with future projects. I'll try calling around to see if any of the mfgrs. in this area have "cut-offs" available. I was planning to do that anyway in hopes of finding some walnut, oak, and other hardwoods. Thanks for the suggestion!
Don: The bin the 2"X4"X8' stud came from at lowes said "pine". I bought a half dozen of them last year to build shelving for my bonsai trees. A few of them had to be trimmed to fit the chosen space, and these 2 dolphins are carved from those cut-offs. There was no mistaking the scent of the wood as I worked it with the power tools. I had to dodge a few knots in the larger one, but when I cut through one of them on the band saw it reeked of turpentine. Thank you for your opinion, and to tell the truth I wasn't real happy with the "foam" I was trying to emulate either. This is all very much a learning experience for me. I have whittled on lumber scraps since I was a boy, but it has only been in the past few years that I've tried to get serious with it.

Inadv

- Mark Twain
- George Carlin
Old 04-30-2011, 06:44 PM

That's as nice as the first one. You've "got" the wisps of spray just right, same for the curves of the dolphin. Skip the foam on the next one, see what you think. I'll guess that your head can fill in the blanks.

Wood selection: If you get construction 2x4 from western Canada, it will have S-P-F stamped on it. That means Spruce (Picea), Pine (Pinus) Fir (Abies). If it was a real 'stud', that's precut to 92 5/8" for framing walls. It is not a 96" "8-footer". When I need a bunch of 48" pieces, I have to buy 12' and cut them myself.
If it really is pine, it will have gray streaks in it. That's the remnant damage from the fungus carried by the Mountain Pine Beetle. We call it "bug-wood". It cuts, drills, saws, glues and paints weird. Powdery texture. Varathaned, it just looks really dirty.