Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2002, 09:27 PM
Carver_Boy

Default Wood Spirit

Hi, I have a older friend across the street from me, and today he gave me a very old walking stick that has a flat hand rest on it. He told me to take it home and carve a wood spirit into it. And I was wondering if anyone knows of any books that I could find, or books that you would recomend for me to look at, because he needs me to do a very good job on it because he is the forth generation to have the walking stick, and that is kinda hard because I am only 12 years old.

Thanks,
Carver Boy
Old 07-01-2002, 07:27 AM
John_T.

Default Re: Wood Spirit

Check out Fox Publishing right here on this web site.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:49 PM

Check your library, ours has quite a few books on spirits and caricature carving. If they don't have any, they should be able to do an inter-library loan and get it for you. Pick a few titles and authors to ask for from a carving catalog or from the list of books offered by Fox Chapel on this site.

Good Luck.......
Old 08-05-2002, 10:48 PM
grumpy560

Tom Wolfe has a book called woodspirits and walking sticks
that has step by step instructions that I found to be a good learning tool for beginners. If you follow the steps and do it the way you are instructed, you will turn out a good spirit on the first try.
I would however suggest that you try a couple on a scrap piece or two before trying to carve on an heirloom.

Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Big_Sid

He must think a lot of you to have you do that for him. He must be a very nice gentleman. Or......you must be a very good carver already.