Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default Whistle Plans

A ways back, someone was looking for plans for a wooden train whistle. *Here's a site that has plans.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~vin/TrainWhistle.htm

Al
Old 11-09-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Whistle Plans

thanks Al...been looking for one... *Today we had lunch at a 50's type diner....the cook had a small bellows at the service window and he would pull the cord on the bellows and it sounded just like a train whistle...the top of the bellows had 4 stacks in it, each a different length....now that would be fun to build...anyone have plans for one of those? .....I just did a search and those whistles are called either, 'bellows, pneumatic or chimed' train whistles...one site sells them for from 99.95 on up to about 315.00!! I would just like to find the plans! :
Old 11-09-2004, 09:14 PM
clifford_parker

I would think that the four chamber whistle from the link that Al posted would have the same effect. Figuring out the bellows would be the 'fun' part.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Wood Magazine had plans for a bellows for a fireplace, a few years back. (oops, didn't mean to mention the competition)
I have copies of that in my notebooks somewhere if anyone would want that....or I think Wood has them on their site.

www.woodmagazine.com

Al
Old 11-10-2004, 07:34 AM
Technical Editor

Al,
It's OK to mention Wood--as long as it isn't a carving article

Bob
Old 11-10-2004, 09:11 AM

I will try to find the site and post it here that shows a picture of the chimed train whistle.....the bellows isn't a problem, I know how to build those...the pipes on top could probably be made out of conduit but not sure how they attached or the size of the holes? or if the placement is critical, a bellows normally has a hole in the center and if I remember right a flap inside....ummm maybe I should have those plans Al! ha ha

OK found it.... http://www.railroadcatalog.com/chimtrainwhi.html
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 AM

I saw a whistle very simmular to the one your describing. The shop wants $220 for it. It doesn't look that complicated. It has a couple of copper pipes for the sound chambers and a bellows. I am also looking for plans for one of these. I've looked all over the internet and can't seam to find plans. Dose any one have any other ideas? I've checked cherywoodtoys.com and wildwooddesigns.com buy no luck. Please help.

Please email me. rich@amanphoto.com