Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Senior Moment

Default Sotol Plant for cane or walking stick

Have any of the Southwesterners used the Flowery stalk of the sotol plant for a walking stick or cane? Know it grows in abundance in Big Bend National Park but is it outlawed/banned for taking. Know that the Indians used the plant for food, Looks to be fiberest and light weight and after it is dried, appears to be strong. Seen one dried at my in-laws and would make a nice looking stick. Grateful for any info.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Sotol Plant for cane or walking stick

i have used several stalks from sotol plant as shafts for hicking sticks.

when dry the stalks are very light weight.the fibers are lenght wise making the stick fairly strong with some fleX

Frank
Old 05-09-2005, 06:06 PM

Most of what I call yucca is sotol...sotol and yucca are basically the same and in same family.....I think I have a stick or two on my picture trail. If you are looking for one send me a message......maybe we can swap sticks? I get them from local businesses that have them as landscaping, but they don't want the stalks falling on customers/employees or their cars so they are very happy for me to take them.....Dave
Old 04-05-2010, 05:42 PM

A friend of mine has several of these for walking/hiking sticks and they are great. I just got a couple yesterday and plan to clean them up and put a couple coats of varnish on them for our use. They are very light and strong.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Ron T

I picked up several going through Texas. You can't really carve them well but they take wood burning very nicely and they are strong. Arizona has very strict laws about harvesting or cutting any native plants.

http://stickcarving.webs.com/

My Gallery photos.
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...0/ppuser/11336