Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2003, 09:20 AM
capn_Crunch

Default Slide of the Month - Former Boy Scouts

Any others of you who caught the carving bug from being a boy scout and reading the old 'Slide of the Month' column in Boy's Life? I'm curious to see if there are any others who still carve neckerchief slides.

The Cap'n
Old 11-08-2003, 11:34 AM
alarchie

Default Re: Slide of the Month - Former Boy Scouts

Ya got one here, Cap'n! *Slide are still used for the bolos so we still carve 'em! *and there are a few Scouts who still wear Neckerchiefs. *I got probably a dozen or more of those old slides in a box in the closet. *

In fact I still have the 'Slide of the Month' reprint book from 1958.

Still a kid at 60,

Al
Old 11-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Senior Moment

I must of over looked this one. While in scouts, I had the honor of being both Cubmaster and Webelos Den leader. My Wife was one of three Webelos leaders in thee other group. One was first year Webolos and I had th3e second Year getting them ready for Boy Socuts. Anyway, I carved Bolo ties for each group of Webelos and it seemed like they change every other monyh but UI know it was once a year. We both had 14 boys in each group so was busy carving Bison, Indian, Vikings etc for these boys and their leaders.
After going to Boy Scouts, I started carving walking sticks with an Eagle on top for those who graced us with the Honor of Eagle Scouts.
Yes the wonderful time spoend on those Bolo Ties and watching those youngsters opening up their Christmas present each year and finding their Bolo Ties.
Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful time spent with these young scouters. Bear with me, I have been bless with most of them growing up to be Nice young men and some with families. The range of occupations were Police officers, firemen, Pastors, engineers, teachers and I could go on. ALA, know the feelings I have for the Scouting program.Dang I miss it.
Sorry for the long winded post but memories are a wonderful thing, for sure.
ALA said it best, I am still a kid . Well at heart , The body says differently.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 11-12-2003, 06:58 PM
Senior Moment

sorry for all the type O's. The wrist is giving me a bit of trouble tonight. Yep Donna T, Did to much today. But I blame the little bride. It was her honey dos she wanted done.HEHEHEHE.

My WCI Gallery
Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM
ken

I carve them for my grandson who is in the Cubs. They haven't started carving their own at that age. He enjoys wearing them & I enjoy carving them. Ken
Old 11-12-2003, 08:39 PM
BlackDog

Kenny_S., it's guys like you I'm hoping to raise my kids up to be like. You kind of folks are getting to be fewer & fewer. Thanks for making our country a little bit better.

My wife's grandma died about a year ago. She had taught childrens Sunday School for over 30 years. One of the great joys of her life was that over a dozen of the boys grew up to be Pastors. Of course not through her involvement alone, but she helped nurture them along the way. You never know what a little effort now will pay off in dividends in the future.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Senior Moment

My respects to Grandmother and sorry for the lost. Now I can't say these fine young men were nutured by me alone. I would like to think I had a small part in their life. One was my son but I had a big part in his and have the deepest respect for him and those who kept on the straight path. Sadly there wer some who needed a little extra and I hoped I did give a little for them. God knows they deserved better than the received at home.
The young man who became a pastor was one who needed encouragement and even though I wanted to wring His neck sometimes, I had to stop and regroup and try harder. He was worth it. Well, they all were worth it for sure. ALA knows the feeling and can share what he thinks. Now, In teaching these boys carving merit badge, None that I know of including my son has no interest in carving. Maybe one of these days, they will. Went through a lot of Ivory teaching them at first. Still can smell the soap. One thing that I have kept up with with the Scouting program is their knife safety. Giving one nect month to both Pack and Troop. They are still using my sign I carved the Troops Number and where we were from to used when they wemt to summer camp and cap-o-rees. That has been a great honor to me, but the boys, now men, Oh, what a joy.

Again pardon the long winded post. Sometimes I forget this is a carving board and rattle on.
By little bride always says to keep it short. I do when it comes to conversation with her. : Maybe after 35 years, she knows me.

My WCI Gallery
Old 11-12-2003, 09:31 PM
Senior Moment

I forgot to say THANK YOU Dog. Bet the kids will grow you to be fine people. Look at their example. My hat is off to you also.

My WCI Gallery
Old 06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Beginning Carver

A local folk here in Utah, check out the selection of scout bolo ties in this video:

YouTube - Bill Burch Bolo Tie