Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy
Default Silver Dollar City/Ozark Mountain Woodcarvers Seminar

I have just returned from Branson, Mo. and the Silver Dollar City/Ozark Mountain Woodcarvers Spring Seminar. Another wonderful experience! We had about 35 instructors with some of them offering a couple of classes during the 5 days. There were about 375 carvers assembled in two buildings (power carvers separated into their own building).

There are two items that are really worth mentioning. The first is that Heinecke Wood Products has gotten a web site www.heineckewood.com and are on line. They have been trucking a load of very good basswood and butternut down from Wisconsin since we started the seminars 9 years ago.

The second thing of importance is a book I found. My wife saw the moose antler carving and wants me to try one. I decided the book was a good price ($14.95+$3.00 shipping) and looked interesting. (Carving in Moose Antlers by Bill Matz).

I am mentioning this book because it is a perfect example of the way a "how to" book should be put together. This 54 page book has 230 color photos. When Matz says "step by step" he means it. There is a photo for each step, description of the method of carving and the burr he is using is also identified. Sources of supplies for materials and tools as well as some patterns are listed in the back of the book. Luckily, I picked up a card as the web address for ordering is not listed in the book. The card indicates the web site www.matzsculptures.com is the place to order. Don't know if it is available elsewhere. I have not been this pleased with a purchase since buying Scholz's Birds of Prey.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 03-15-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Silver Dollar City/Ozark Mountain Woodcarvers Seminar

I had the pleasure of meeting Bill Matz this winter. He and his wife Doris
were park hosts at Goliad,Texas. They came to the Victoria woodcarvers
meetings . He does some very good antler carvings and is a very intresting
fellow. I look foreward to seeing him again this fall.
Bill
Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

....35 instructors and 375 students all carving at once......carvers heaven! Sounds like an interesting trip, and over 5 days, that would give you lots of time to see and experience a lot! Sounds like we will be seeing some new kinds of work coming up......moose antler! Damm things are responsible for more deaths on the road here in NB and NFLD than anything else. Never tried carving their antler, just their roast! Good luck with it Paul....but be sure to wear a good quality mask when working on antler, the dust is a real nasty irritant and can carry micro-organisms.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 03-15-2005, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Paul_Guraedy

squbrigg, I retired from Alaska and you are totally right about moose being a road hazard. They are so tall that even a big 4x4 takes the legs out from under them and ends up with the torso in the drivers lap. Those of us who wandered the northern wilderness areas had as much, or more, respect for a moose as for old grizz. Bears will generally move away if they are aware of a human. But moose are big, unpredictable and mean. Guess I will settle for carving an antler, in a year or so, but wish I had a roast to carve. I have eaten wild game of a wide variety, but I think moose the best. But, they are kinda scarce here in the Ozarks. Take a look at Matz's book. You may decide that most parts are carvable.

My Website
www.sites.google.com/?pli=1

When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will we discover we cannot eat money.
~ Cree Prophecy ~
Old 03-15-2005, 08:33 AM

Paul,
You're right about them being just plain mean, when I used to live in Idaho they talked of them destroying people refrigerators at people's camps during the rut. We also had a cow trot in front of our 4 wheel drive GMC on a logging road and her underbelly was even with the hood of the truck!!! Either way they are still beautiful to see.
Blogging about it at...
http://anthonyfiletti.blogspot.com/

Direct link to my Woodcarving Illustrated Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2685