Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 09:52 AM
whiskers

Default reciprocating power carver

I have been wanting to try a recip carving tool for larger projects. Does anyone have any recomendations on these tools? Do you like them?

Thanks Whiskers
Old 12-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Moment

Default Re: reciprocating power carver

WeCheers has one at Approximately $150.00. Have heard some carvers don't like it but have seen and heard those who do. Do a Google on WeCheers Reciprocating carver. Then one for Foredom. Definitely the foredam is higher in price, then you have to but the different hand pieces. I don't own one but have used both at shows. Both cuts great.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 12-14-2004, 10:19 AM
Colin_Partridge

Whiskers,
I wouldnt be without mine I have various reciprocating carvers and let me give you my opinion on the ones I have. Mind you this is just my opinion this is just my take on them. I have an Arbortech that is a wood hog very powerful and removes a lot of wood fast. Its down fall is that there are only a few profiles in the gouges that it takes. I also have a Skil unfortunatly they dont make it anymore. Went off the market last year I was lucky enough to pick up three of them. It takes the flexcut gouges and is probably my favorite of all of the reciprocators because it has three speeds. Proxxon have a great little machine that also takes the Flexcut gouges I find it a little underpowered for me but then again I do very big carvings. Weecher also make an inexpensive reciprocator I dont have one but have heard nothing bad about them. Flexcut have just released their new reciprocator havent heard any reports on it only that it is very expensive, almost $600 US. Automach also make a great machine again I dont have one but I have used one. It is a Japanese made product very powerful but again it has a very limited tool profile. Hope this has helped I know there are more of them out there but these are the ones I am familier with.
Colin
Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 AM

I have the Ryobi that takes the flexcut chisels....if works fine...not a real power house...but with flexcut, if you get too carried away, you chip the blades anyway....I just want to get the bulk off and finish by hand....guess I am turning into a neanderthal! :P ( my wife says 'guess'..'turning' lol)
Old 12-14-2004, 11:38 AM

Whiskers,
I use the automach which I've seen sell between 250.00 and 300.00....it works great but you have to loosen the collar and grease the bearing periodicaly depending on how much you use it. They seem to last forever.

Colin, you mentioned it has limited blades...the flexcut blades have shims that allows you yo use them in the automach.

My other favorite is the Ryobi which unfortunatly is no longer made...you can often find new or used ones on Ebay. They also can be used with the flexcut blades.

greg
Old 12-14-2004, 01:32 PM
Big_Wayne_P

I have the Welcher
It does a good job
ideal for removing a lot of wood fast
I just use the gougs that came with it
have not needed any more
I use the rotary handpiece all the time
I also have a Dremel that i use all the time

The Welcher is a good buy for the money
comes with flex shaft and rotary and reciprocating hand pieces

I use the rotary handpiece a lot and different burrs in it
i also use my dremel about as much
keep my dremel set up with the sanding disc most of the time
Old 12-14-2004, 03:24 PM
randy48

I've got one of those 'high quality' Tiwanese Ryobi knockoffs I bought from the Cummins tool truck sale for $19.99. It even came with the Ryobi tips. I've only played with it a little but it seems OK. It does get a little on the warm side, you have to hold it just right so the air doesn't blow out the vents on your hand and make sure your fingers aren't touching the the brush caps.

I like hand carving but also like toys, so for 20 bucks it was something new to play with

Would I buy one of those fancy expensive carvers - Nope! To me the expense isn't worth it cause I wouldn't use it. Same reason I won't buy a Foredom or other expensive flex-shaft, I'vre got an old Dremel I've had for years and also bought one of those Harbor Freight $49.99 flex-shafts, and don't use them much either!
Old 12-14-2004, 05:23 PM

Randy I have to agree with you about the Cummins, not bad for the price. I had the opportunity to try the Foredom powercarver at Lowes; (our local Lowes began carrying certain namebrand carving supplies). I was impressed with the Foredom, however there is no way I could ever justify spending 250 bucks on myself. I'd love one but 'ain't gonna happen'. I was happy to see the Lowe's carving selection but highly disappointed in the pricing.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:56 PM

'I've got one of those 'high quality' Tiwanese Ryobi knockoffs I bought from the Cummins tool truck sale for $19.99.'

Randy,
I tried one too...their fine for OCCASIONAL use...if you use it alot they poop out in about 2 months *>
Old 12-15-2004, 07:00 PM
randy48

Well, mine ought to last about forever. I've had it 3 or 4 months and used it about 10-15 minutes the first day. Maybe when I get caughtup I'll pull it out and play with it some more for a few minutes