Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
General Wood Carving

Closed Thread
Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default Pictures of Home Made Vice

I posted four pictures of the pipe fitting vice I made from the plans in WCI, in case anyone else was interested in making one. They show the two basic modifications I made. There was some discussion of this vice in the Beginners Carving section, and this is in response to that. The vice looks rather crude, but works very well. It is strong and stable, once those two mods are made. Pics are in the Other Stuff album

Al
Old 09-24-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: Pictures of Home Made Vice

Al, that is fantastic! Those vices are so expensive and I would never have realized how easily and inexpensively one could be made. Thanks so much for sharing that, definitely going to be telling the hubby....think he's free this weekend, archery hasn't started yet! Callynne
Old 09-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Don't thank me, thank Mr. Dielle and Wood Carving Ilustrated Magazine for the article I got it from!

there is one more 'modification' I forgot; I epoxied the flange on the armature to the pipe so it wouldn't twist under pressure. *Make sure you clean the threads, inside and out, with denatured alcohol, or other strong solvent to get rid of any oil that is on the pipe threads, prior to using the adhesive.

Al
Old 10-06-2003, 03:47 PM
BlackDog

[quote author=AlArchie link=board=GeneralC;num=1064338979;start=0#0 date=09/23/03 at 12:42:58]*Pics are in the Other Stuff album

Al[/quote]

Being new here, I've not learned my way around yet. Would someone kindly direct me to the 'Other Stuff' album? This sounds like something I'd be interested in. Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Sure thing, 'Dog', go to * www.picturetrail.com * , click on member log in, then enter user name 'carvers-R-us' *and use password 'carve' *(don't use the quotes). *Once in, add it to you favorites and you can go directly to the site any tine you want. *Just check the individual albums for whatever topic you'd like to look at. *You can even add your own album that will be accessible for other members.

Al
Old 10-06-2003, 06:27 PM
BlackDog

Very neat. *I have to try this. *I've been setting up a workbench I made out of an old wooden fire door. *I want to mount an end vise and bench dogs. *This would be a nice addition too. *Thanks!! *
Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Where could a find a pattern for a home made carving vice Rick

Last edited by Rbouillon; 10-17-2009 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Found Pattern Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 PM

Try this for the Poor Man's Vice:

Poor Man's Contest Winner - Page 1
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM

WORKBENCH2.jpg Here is a pic of my workbench. I made it from a old JC Penny checkout counter, I found at the Goodwill store for $25. I added the floresent light bridge for about $10 and bought the light floresent light at Lowe's on clearence for $9.95. I bought the bar stool/chair, at the Habitat for Humanity store for $10, and as you can see I have the Poor man's vise I built mounted on it, with a clamp, so I can remove it, if needed.
I had a hard time finding the handle, but finaly found one at Lee Valley tools. Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, HardwareThey have all kinds of handles and knobs, for fixtures and jig construction.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Carver Wanabe

Hey guys thanks for the info on this. I must have missed the WCI issue with this vice in it. I can't wait to get to the store to buy the parts. The wife will be happy too fewer chances to get cut. hee hee