Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Question Ian Agrell School

I'm contemplating taking a 5 day carving seminar from Ian Agrell but know very little about him other than what he has on his impressive website. The main type of carving I want to do is for picture frames so the work is pretty small. I'd appreciate any feedback or opinions from other carvers that know of Ian or have even taken courses from him.
If there are other classes/courses that deal more with the picture framing techniques that anyone could recommend I'd appreciate that as well. I live in Las Vegas so the closer to home the better it'd be.

Thanks in advance, John
Old 01-08-2012, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Ian Agrell School

On my list of classes to take is a class from Ian. It has been on my list for about 4 years now and the reason for not taking it is that my work my time off are dictated by our production/schedule. All of his classes have sadly coincided with my work. I too would like to hear from someone/anyone who has taken one of the classes he offers.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM

Hi Edge, I enrolled in his class for the 5 day course the end of February. I was talking about it with a woodworking friend of mine and he told me that he was one of Ian's first students when he taught in Colorado. In any case, looking forward to it but glad my sister lives a couple of miles from his studio in Fairfax. Drop me an email if you'd like after the class and I'll tell you about it. My email is eugster96@cox.net I see you're in Utah, I'm in Las Vegas.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Will do John, Hope you have the time of your life and I'd be interested in hearing from you when you are finished.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Hi Edge, hopefully the picture I uploaded came through. It's an Acanthus leaf that took about 2 and a half days to complete. The workshop with Ian was really good, only 4 of us there and once we completed this Acanthus leaf we went on to a project of our choice. I worked on some picture frames (need to be refined and gilded), another guy did some really good incised letters, while the other two worked on some intricate patterns. Well worth the $$ because you just can't get that kind of insight and instruction from a DVD or a book. Just received an email from them stating the next session will be in November.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Project Manager, UK

Hi Edge and Woodworksby John,

This is Ian's daughter, Kate. I tripped across this post on the internet.

Woodworksby John - Glad to hear you had a good time and learned a lot from Ian.

Edge - I just checked the website and noticed its last years schedule. I will email Ian and Marita to ask them to post the new schedule. He is currently in the San Rafael office and "I think" he is teaching this Feb.

We are getting onto our feet re social media so hopefully we will seem more accessible in the future.

Kates