Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 PM

Default hollowing stumps/logs

Hi all,
I'm stumped.

What's the best option/idea for hollowing out a stump or log section.
I'm planning to stand these up on end and use them as a planters/containers.
I'm a experienced woodworker/contactor handyguy buy i'm definitley a chain saw noob.

How would i go about removing 22" out of a 24 in diameter log? The main obstacle is plunge cutting and I'd like the hole to be at least 15" deep into the piece.

Any suggestions for air tools or chain saw type tools for this application?

Any advice would be soooooo appreciated.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: hollowing stumps/logs

One thing for sure, if you decide to use a chain saw for "plunge type" cuts, be VERRRRY aware of the kick-back factor. General chainsaw bars and chains are not designed for that kind of work. One of those bars with the small tip may be a safer option. Or look around for one of the Lancelot rotary chain discs or similar cutter that uses an angle grinder for power. They are easier to control than a chainsaw and some types advertise anti-kick-back blades.

Even then, hang on with both hands and expect a bit of torque, and an occasional kickback. On the plus side these discs remove a lot of wood in a hurry and leave a nice clean surface.

Al
Old 07-23-2008, 11:24 AM

As a Contractor you probably have a 1/2" drill? Why not get a hefty size long auger bit and drill out most of the waste? You could chizel out most of the waste from there. Then take a 4 1/2 grinder (I often unscrew the right angle handle to get in tight places)and work it out from there? Since that's the tools I have that's how I would go at it. I do have a 16" Homelite chainsaw, but since I've worked in an office for the past 22 yrs I find I run it 20 minutes and need to take a 40 minute break to rest up. Blows an hour and I don't get much done that wayQuestion

Last edited by Jim-Iowa; 07-23-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM

id use the largest forstner bit i could find-- and take it out to depth of 4 inch at a time-- until u are as deep as u want to go-- id also leavemore than 2 inches on the outside-- this is almost guaranteed to crack.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Forum Mentor

years ago i made a planter out of a living stump, using a 1-1/2" paddle bit and several ship augers, then a 2" flat wood chisel and small sledge 2lb. after removing all the scrap i drilled water drainage holes 3 or 4 from the inside through bark,
during the process i tried a small electric chainsaw but found it to unsafe for this type work,

it was lots of fun, but wouldn't do another for love or money today

keep yourself safe and good luck!
thomp51la@gmail.com
Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Chuck mentions splitting. I once read an article(probably Wood magazine early 90's) where a guy was turning bowls from logs. He had made a very interesting lathe with a 2" spindle and 2 truck transmitions. He turned the bowls green wrapped them in plastic and stored them in a cellar to crure slowly to prevent splitting as it cured.