Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to medicinedog
Default Exceptional High Relief Class

I’ve put this post off because words can not adequetately describe the experience of taking a class under the tutelage of Ron Ramsey. I will try to do it justice. I took a high relief carving class from Ron Ramsey (Telecarver) this past weekend. Myself and 3 other carvers arrived at his fantastic workshop Thursday night, then spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday learning the ins and outs of high relief carving. It was not just a carving experience it was a life experience. Ron or Ramsey as everyone calls him (even his wife) is a master carver. He has spent 38 years making a living out of what most of us do as a hobby. And he has done very well. His work is incredible. Go to his site, you will be amazed. Hand Carved Doors Fireplace Mantels Architectural Carving Signs
Ramsey’s ability to impart knowledge to another carver is extraordinaire. I came away from his class knowing I could make sculptural carvings that I would be proud to make a part of my home. No, they won’t look like Ramsey’s but as I said they will be works of art that I will be proud of. Ramsey has developed a unique, matter of fact method of arriving at a finished carving that ordinary individuals can accomplish and those with a little talent can excel at.
Not only was the carving exceptional the entire weekend was. Ramsey and his wonderful wife Karen brought 4 carvers into their home for a 72 hr once in a lifetime event. Karen, an artist in her own right as jewelry artist ensures every guest has an exceptional experience. We carved, we learned, we had gourmet meals, we talked and drank wine into the wee hours by the outdoor fireplace hand hewn by the Ramsey’s at the beautiful, secluded 30 acres in the Sierra Mountains. It truly was an exceptional experience. If you ever have the opportunity to participate in one of Ramsey’s classes by all means seize it. You will not be disappointed.

The bear below was our project. He’s not finished. I had to catch a plane and had to leave early. The bear is standing on a branch, stretching to reach honey from a honeycomb. You can see the finished project on Ramsey’s site under the classes tab. carvedbyramsey.com
I tried to take the carving as is on the plane, United would not allow it as a carry on but the United staff were so impressed with the carving they found a box, cut it in half and covered the ends, placed it in a bag, then taped it all up. All this because as they exclaimed "I've seen carvings like this go for over $500 dollars" They wouldn't charge me the $25 fee. Yeah United.

PS. Robert Stokes, an apprentice to Ramsey made the experience even more enjoyable through encouragement and guidance as well as ensuring we all received the most we could from Ramsey’s teaching by taking care of all the necessities of the class.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to medicinedog
Default Re: Exceptional High Relief Class

Somehow the picture didn't get attached, so here it is. I have quite alot to do yet. I had to leave early to catch my flight and my goal wasn't to finish it but rather to learn the whole process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bear4.jpg (30.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Always Learning

That sounds fantastic. Your bear is great. There are few things more satisfying than a well taught class. Especially when the subject is something we so very much want to learn.
Congratulations on a great experience!!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
chipchaptom

Sounds like a great class Lar, and looks like your's is going to come out fantastic.

Can taste the honey from here.

Nice job, Tom
Old 07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

Lar, what a wonderful experience! I would love to take his class. We were up that way over the weekend and I thought about the classes that he teaches as we were driving towards home. Sigh, maybe next time.
Your carving is beautiful by the way!.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon of the Dell View Post
Lar, what a wonderful experience! I would love to take his class. We were up that way over the weekend and I thought about the classes that he teaches as we were driving towards home. Sigh, maybe next time.
Your carving is beautiful by the way!.
Sharon, Stop by sometime when you're in the neighborhood.
http://www.youtube.com/user/carvedbyramsey?feature=mhee
Like my page on Facebook to get updates and see my latest work in progress as well as updates on classes.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ron-R...or/55391262469
Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 PM

Larry, Thanks for the great review! It was wonderful meeting you. I have a more complete response with photos to post when I get the time. Maybe tomorrow.
Like my page on Facebook to get updates and see my latest work in progress as well as updates on classes.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
MyMother'sDaughter!

Thank you Ron, I would love to stop by!
We camped at Gold Lake and took HWY 49 to Grass Valley, which I believe is near you?
It's sure beautiful up there.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM

We are truly lucky to have Ron Ramsey as part of this forum. Such expertise is vital to would-be relief carvers. While not the same as taking the class at his studio/home, the information he provides here is priceless.

My WCI gallery:
Pallin's Gallery
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM

The class was a resounding success. I had as much fun as the students and my wife, Karen did an exemplary job on the food and other accommodations. A special thanks to Karen and Robert for all of their hard work with preperations and support during the class. And thank you most of all to the students who made it all possible with their upbeat attitudes, eagerness to learn and appreciation for our secluded mountain retreat. We were like a big happy family and made friendships that will last a lifetime.
Here's some photos of the class.

Enjoying one of Karen's gourmet lunches on the patio.