Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 07:58 AM

Default driftwood sculture

Good morning fellow carvers;
I would like to find how to clean, polish, varnish old driftwood, can you help me ...Thanks.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: driftwood sculture

There are probably a few other ways of doing this, but here's what I've done. *First, wash the driftowood well with either a strong spray from a hose or high pressure washer. This will get MOST of the sand and grit. *If you plan on carving the driftwood, bear in mind that it is still impregnated with a lot of sand and other abrasive particles. *Even cutting these pieces on a bandsaw will yield a variety of sparks as the blade eats through the abrasives. *Driftwood just isn't conducive to keeping your tools sharp.

Once it is cleaned and dried, you can finish it either in it's naural coloration, or add stain or color washes to achieve the specific shades you want. *I usually soak it thouroughly with a volatile sanding sealer (Cabot's or similar) *for three or more coats, letting it dry thoroughly between coats. *This not only seals the wood surface, but binds all the loose wood fibers that are inherent in most driftwood. *I then finish with several coats of spray varish; *either matt, satin, semi gloss or gloss depending on how dry or wet you want it to look. *

To simulate a piece sticking up through the water, on a fish habitat display, I once stained the portion 'below waterline' a little darker than the top part, letting the stain run up the grain, just as actual water would on a partially submerged stump. Came out pretty good, and I'll probably try this again.

One more thing, regarding the collection of driftwood.....in some areas it is now illegal to collect driftwood from shores of waterways for personal use. *Kinda stupid, as you can still collect it for firewood and burn it at beach-side bonfires. *I'd check with the local authorities just to be on the safe side!

Al
Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Colin_partridge

Having carved driftwood I agree completly with Al it is very hard on the tools. I might also add it may be a good idea to put it into the micro wave if it is small enough. Now I wouldnt advocate doing it with the one the wife has in the kitchen but you can pick one up cheap at a yard sale for $10 or 15 and this will kill all of the wild life that is usually found inside of the driftwood. I have also used a mild mixture of bleach and water and wash it make sure you use rubber gloves though. This can produce a really white effect on some driftwood.
Colin
Old 07-23-2004, 11:15 AM

Gee thanks Al and Colin ...
I started working on a piece of drifwood, boy you are right about the sand bit ..I will try the bleach wash next time to see what happened. any books on the subject?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:26 PM

I put a desicant bag in with my carving knives and laid it on top of a piece of bark and found wood (small stuff) and they both turned white where the desicant was? New way to get wood white? lol
Old 07-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Check this site's BUY BOOKS section, and you'll find one called 'Carving Found Wood' I think that will cover a lot of your questions.

Al
Old 07-25-2004, 07:51 AM

Thanks again guys; what do you think about sand blasting the wood to clean it up?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Can't help much here with the sandblasting idea....never done it! However, there is an outfit here that makes signs by sandblasting their wood glue-ups, and the work is quite remarkable. I have no idea what they use for the resist, though. Maybe you could contact them directly and get some information about the technique.

Alf Craft
E-5340 Jackson Rd.
Ironwood, MI 49928
906-032-1907

Al
Old 07-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Senior Moment

There is a hobbist here that makes signs out of big rocks and sandblast them. Uses some form of rubber cement on the letterings to keep the letters from being blasted away.
I use a 1/4' and 1/2' metal chisels and take the background down. Easy does it with stone.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 07-25-2004, 10:27 AM

a very small sandblaster, like the ones used for glass engraving will clean up the wood and give some interesting designs, however..it will cut up the wood if you don't keep it moving and watch what you are doing! Be also aware of siliconosis.....wear breathing protection and eye protection, a hood over that would not hurt! A glass engraving orifice on a small blaster only uses about 2 lbs of pressure, so is very controllable...to repeat.....be careful with your health using them!!! :-[

« Stuff | Oleanders? »