Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
girlcarver

Default Carvings you don't like

Hi all:
I am doing a carving as a wedding present for my son's best friend. To be done by August 2008. Head Bange I know lots of time. The problem is it is a carving I just can't seem to get much enthusiasm for. How do you force yourself to keep working and getting something done that you just don't "FEEL"?

I am almost done most of the carving part and just working on the sanding, refinining and just keep putting it off. Any advice on how to keep going?

Oh, it is a celtic ring with the chinese characters for double happiness (wedding sign) in the centre. I will go downstairs and take a couple of pictures today for you and let you see it.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
Senior Moment

Default Re: Carvings you don't like

Deb,
I have a whole bunch of them type of carvings. I don't have a sure fired way or suggestions for you. Many carvers have that same problem. Start out just fine, but then, lose interest in the carving. Sorry, couldn't be of more help but I am sure there are carvers that can help out.

http://www.picturetrail.com/ken_sanders

My WCI Gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...00/ppuser/2326
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 PM

Okay Deb! Here goes. Since I too have been caught up in this type of situation way too many times; this is what I do. First I say that I'll never get into this type of situation again. But I am only lying to myself. When this happens to me I have to say to myself; self, so and so is depending on you. Self, you cannot let these people down. These folks know what you are capable of, you cannot come up short. I don't want to be embarrassed by my efforts. Self, what you are carving will out last you, it's what people will remember about you, well after you're gone. I guess I have to kinda shame myself into doing the best I can, and finishing the project.

Well so far it works for me.....

Tom H
Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
girlcarver

Here is the carving in question. Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and just force myself to keep working on it. I have promised myself I will not start another carving till this one is complete. Sad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1195.JPG (97.9 KB, 125 views)
Old 01-22-2008, 01:05 PM

It's looking very nice. Just think how impressed they'll be when they see it, that should keep you going. Plus you're not far off now
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 PM
torpidhummer

Send a message via Yahoo to torpidhummer

Having had no formal carving lessons, I was a voracios reader of every carving tips and books I could get my hands on. . The one advice I took as the "valid carvers word" to always have three carvings going at time. A carving pattern on block of wood, one roughed out and another in the detail stage. Well "Lord and behold", I have several wanna be carvings in that "holding stage". I set these aside ( to be carved and finished some day". Now I'm sticking to one carving at a time. So yes I am guilty of setting things aside for a better day, "I think they call it procatination or "I just don't like that carving". Oh Well.
Oscar
Old 01-22-2008, 01:30 PM
WhittleBear Carver

I come across this all the time in my real job as a drafter--the boss says here do this, and of course, it's the last thing in the world that I want to do--seems like I get that every day now that I'd rather be carving. I just get in there and get it done, the sooner it''s done, the sooner I forget about it and get on to something I want to do. (Boss still hasn't ask me to carve something that the company will pay me to do though!! LOL)

BobL
Old 01-22-2008, 04:48 PM

i was commissioned to do a piece a while back that was like that and i fought it the whole time,i dreaded even going to the bench and having to pick it up,but i finally got it done and they we're so impressed i was asked to do another piece,which did have an intrest to me,and really enjoyed the challange and the carving.so it's a tough call i hate to turn anything down,but i think there maybe times it is better to,instead of giving half effort at something.that is when it truely becomes WORK!!!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Woodcarving...ef=seller_info

direct link to my wci carving gallery
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...searchid=46323
Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to squbrigg

Think of it as practice, give it your best and be proud of it. Been there, done that, and will no doubt do it again. I suppose, it boils down to, how bad you want to carve!

Nice work by the way.

Bob

link to Gallery photos
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...user/2823/sl/s
Old 01-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Since it's not due until August, why not just take time away from it for a while? When it gets closer to the date, you might get motivated just from the time limit pressure.

Believe me, you're in good company; it's happened to lots of us. I love carving Santas, but as soon as someone asked me for one specifically, I wasn't interested. I think the pressure I put on myself was too much and took away the joy. I bet if you had come up with this idea yourself, things might be different.

If it'll make you feel better, it's a lovely piece!

Jillsy