Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

American Science & Surplus
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:10 PM
knot locator

Default Butz carving knife

Woodcraft has Butz carving knives on sale for 12.99 . I picked one up . You can't beat it for that price and it is a nice little knife .
Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Butz carving knife

Can't beat that price! I have the Butz detail knife, works great for carving out the inside of windows on cottonwood bark, it's long and narrow. Did need to be sharpened first.

Dave
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM

I have had a Butz detail knife for nearly a year, and it is one of my two favorite knives. I did break the thin factory tip off fairly soon after I got it, but when I ground it back to a little shorter point, it becaame my go-to-knife for fine work. I often find myself starting to use it for larger work, and make myself put it down and get a bigger blade. It is extremely easy for anyone, including a beginner to sharpen as there is absolutly no bevel on the blade, just lay it flat on the stone or wheel and go to town...sharper than any scalpel I ever used in the OR.
I called my brother the other day (no Woodcraft Store in my town), and told him to go buy me one of each of the Butz knives that are on sale (am going to visit them and Mom next week and can retrieve the knives then and save on shipping).. I will get a second detail knife as a back-up (in case I break this one again, drop it, or even give it away if any of my kids decide to take up carving) as the price is so ridiculiously low. I can't wait to try the other Butz knife, I had looked at it the last time I was in a Woodcraft store and almost bought it then, as it also has no bevel and woukd sharpen easily.

I highly reccomend this knife, especially to a beginner.

As an aside, my other favorite knife is a Whittlin Jack by United Cutlery, again a cheap knife that you can still find for under $10.00, but when you do snatch them up as they have been discontinued and are getting more and more scarce. I like this one for the same reason as the Butz, essentially no bevel so it sharpens like a dream. A super sharp knife makes the carving fun, I have more expensive knives that I don't use much as I can't get them as sharp as my favorite duo. The Whittlin Jack is a big, heavy, beefy blade that makes rough-out easy.

Just my thoughts, your milage may (and probably will) vary)
Old 03-19-2010, 09:14 PM

no bevel? D'Oh so that's what I've been doing wrong with those knives of mine... Will have to see if any left. Thanks for the heads up
Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Whittling Fool

Thanks, jimmy joe, for the tip. I stopped by Woodcraft yesterday to pilfer their scraps (trash) from weekend classes, and to check out these knives. Sadly, they didn't have much in the way of scraps this time. But I did pick up the Butz carving knife and the Butz detail knife, each for $12.99 (normally $17.99!).

The carving knife seemed pretty sharp, but I gave it a good stropping on the massager. Cuts nice and clean now. The handle feels a bit small in the hand, and something about the blade's position in the handle makes me a bit uncomfortable. Sorry I can't be more specific right now. I'll give myself a little time to get used to the knife. It does cut the basswood real nice, though. If I have time today, I'll try carving one of my found wood dogs with it.

I'm seriously disappointed with the detail knife. I put it on the strop and one side felt like it was scraping the leather. Under the magnifying glass, I see that the last 1/8" or so was not properly sharpened and it looks twisted or bent. The tip doesn't come to a point, but rather is rounded off. These look like manufacturing defects rather than damage that occurred during shipping or display in the store. I suppose I could take the knife back and get a replacement, but it'll probably take less time to just grind it down and have a slightly shorter blade.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:12 PM

I have the Butz knife and love it. It has become my go to knife. I have a big hand and it just seems to fit right.
JimB
Old 03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmischel View Post
Thanks, jimmy joe, for the tip. I stopped by Woodcraft yesterday to pilfer their scraps (trash) from weekend classes, and to check out these knives. Sadly, they didn't have much in the way of scraps this time. But I did pick up the Butz carving knife and the Butz detail knife, each for $12.99 (normally $17.99!).

The carving knife seemed pretty sharp, but I gave it a good stropping on the massager. Cuts nice and clean now. The handle feels a bit small in the hand, and something about the blade's position in the handle makes me a bit uncomfortable. Sorry I can't be more specific right now. I'll give myself a little time to get used to the knife. It does cut the basswood real nice, though. If I have time today, I'll try carving one of my found wood dogs with it.

I'm seriously disappointed with the detail knife. I put it on the strop and one side felt like it was scraping the leather. Under the magnifying glass, I see that the last 1/8" or so was not properly sharpened and it looks twisted or bent. The tip doesn't come to a point, but rather is rounded off. These look like manufacturing defects rather than damage that occurred during shipping or display in the store. I suppose I could take the knife back and get a replacement, but it'll probably take less time to just grind it down and have a slightly shorter blade.
I have a couple of the detail knives. The first one came beautifully sharpened. Bought it in-store a couple years ago. The second one I bought online and it was completely dull. Even though it is very thin, it took a fair amount of work to get it where I wanted it. Sure is a handy knife though.

A stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value every year. I told him, ďAt my age, I donít even buy green bananas.Ē
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
knot locator

The carving knife I bought in store . It needed stropped to work properly . I also prefer a little thicker handle and I had the same thoughts on how the handle lays in there . But for the money once tuned up it is a nice knife . I wish I had picked up another while I was there . Sounds like the detail knife would need the same . All in all to me it is well worth the money .
Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 PM

Send a message via MSN to breezly

I bought the detail knife about a month ago it was dull and needed to be sharpened so i took it to the lakeland carving show and they had someone there doing a demonstration on sharpening and he sharpened it up and now i cant put it down i love the feel of the knife and how it cuts .