Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Jerry-Rig
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Default Amarillo Woodcarving Show Pictures

The Golden Spread Woodcarvers had their annual sow this past weekend in Amarillo Texas, and I thought I would share a few pictures with the group. We had great attendance this year and had more exhibitors than any show since I joined 4 years ago. We also had great public attendance this year.

The highlight for me was meeting Phil and Vicki Bishop from over in Elk City (2 hour drive east of here on I-40). The had a great exhibit, and were very personable and fun to talk to. i have looked at and studied their carvings on their website, in books, and in magazines for years...but nothing in print can give you an accurate sense of the magnificence of their artistry other than seeing the works in person. I don't have a superlative in my vocabulary great enough to describe their work..just go see it if you can.

As for how I did in the show..well I had fun. I didn't get to play this year....I am in the intermediate level, and club rules state there must be at east three entries in a category in order to have judging and award a prize or ribbon. Only two of us in the intermediate level were able to attend this year..so no judging in our category at all. I understand the rules, and they were fairly applied..I am just a bit (a lot actually) disappointed in that I didn't get to participate in the fun of competition. Maybe next year.

I didn't get a lot of pictures as my camera battery died..didn't make it to the winners table except for a couple of shots. I also skipped a lot of entries and a few tables due to a quirk in our club rules. Our members (a whole lot of whom carve mainly roughouts) have voted to allow carvings from roughouts to be entered into any category for competition. There is no separate category for instructor assisted or roughouts, so they are in all the judging and tend to look a bit better than a lot (not all of course) of the original works. I don't have anything against roughouts per se...but don't personally do them except in classes. Anyway, I didn't take a lot of pics or roughouts so that also limited my photography.

the pics i will post are the ones I like best. the first two are my table, the second two are the Bishops (I won't put a lot of their work up as it is better studied on their excellent website), and the fifth pic is the carving voted Exhibitors Choice (which I consider the real Best of Show)

hope you enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0689.jpg (42.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0687.jpg (30.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0677.jpg (29.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0679.jpg (29.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0684.jpg (72.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Amarillo Woodcarving Show Pictures

More pics...first one is the winners in the novice Class (after that one my battery died, don't have pics of the Open Class winners)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0682.jpg (27.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0686.jpg (66.3 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0667.jpg (47.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0668.jpg (39.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Last set of pics. We had a great weekend, come and join us next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0672.jpg (96.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0676.jpg (54.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0681.jpg (57.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM

Thanks for posting. Looks like it was a good show.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:20 PM

Hey Slowmover,
Thank you so much for your kind words. We enjoyed meeting and visiting with you as well. We had a great time and hope to do this show again. We loved your work and your enthusiasm. Keep on keeping on.

http://www.bishopwoodcarving.com/
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Thanks for posting the show pics. I always enjoy them. Your table looked very nice too.

My WCI Gallery http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...0/ppuser/22754
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 PM

Hiya Slow, I grew up in Amarillo and still consider it my home...even though we moved when I was just 10 or 11. All of my family lived there until the last few years and I love going home. Love the pictures you posted and am glad you had a good show. Sorry you didn't get to get in on the competition.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Appreciation in seeing talent displayed by others is remembrance.
Thanks for bringing your appreciation for everyone to see.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 PM

We had a simular problem filling catagories at our show this last year. I made a change as show chairman and we judged even if we had one entry. Our judge, Steve Brown, could option to not make an award or award 1-2-3 or give just a 3rd place with no 1st place. Everyone seemed happy. This gave all 1st place winners an opportunity to go to compete for Best of Show and not be grouped into a all inclusive group and only the 1st place go to Best of Show.
More shows are really going through the problem of keeping a show going. Lack of participation, ever increasing cost of show space, and the increased cost to just put a show on with realistic prize money that will encurrage out of club participation.
Thanks for posting the show pictures. This will encurrage many to compete next year.
Charlie
Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Looks like you had a great show, thanks for posting the pictures.