Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > General Wood Carving
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
General Wood Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 02:03 PM
Cat Slave

Default Allergic Reaction to Polyurethane

I've been suffering from skin rash for the last several months on and off. I've narrowed it down to either the fumes from polyurethane or my own hair. Has anyone else ever developed an allergy to the fumes from polyurethane?

I have also developed an allergy to any pine based such as epoxy and plumbers putty (Magic Sculpt especially) Any suggestions for a good clear coat for wood that is not poly or pine resin based?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Buffalo Bif

Send a message via Yahoo to Buffalo Bif
Default Re: Allergic Reaction to Polyurethane

Have you tried any of the water based urethanes? How about shellac?Yours is the first time I've heard of an allergy to urethane. Keep us posted
My Blog
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM

I have developed a contact allergy skin rash thing from epoxies. While the sloppiness was done many decades ago, it's still with me. I can't use epoxy any more. Affects fair skinned people moreso than dark skinned people.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Hi sorry to hear about your rash. I do use Ployurethane and the fumes can be pretty strong. I have to always open the garage/shop doors when using it. First time I forgot to open the big garage/shop door and did get a headache. I don't do that anymore.

Some folks are very sensative to these types of chemicals, like Brian mentioned you might try water based instead.

Hope you get over your rash soon.

My WCI Carver Gallery Images
http://www.woodcarvingillustrated.co...3480&protype=1
The Flute Portal
http://www.fluteportal.com

Back Roads and Tall Trees
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM

You could have the contact dermititis from any number of things including one or more of the chemicals in the products you use or even from the turpentine, acetone or other cleaners and thinners you use with them.

Going to a water based acylic product is probably your best bet unless you want to spend big bucks in a Dr.s' Office trying to figure out exactly what it is you are allergic to.

But to shed some light on your comment "or my own hair." My daughter is allergic to her own sweat and has to wear perscription creams and lotions and cotton gloves when she works to try and prevent allergic reactions so your comment in reality is not that far off.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Cat Slave

Thanks for the ideas on water based stuff. I've only ever tried water based stain before and I didn't like it. I'll look at Lee Valley to see what they have that is water based.

Eddy, I really hope it isn't my own hair that is the problem. I like having long hair and I really don't want to keep it cut off just so I don't have this annoying rash on my chest.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM
"Old" Guy

Do you spray anything on your hair? If you do you could be allergic to that.
Terry

John 3:17
<><

http://www.picturetrail.com/terryvance

my WCI gallery
Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Kitaye.... You say that the rash is on your chest? I assumed from your question that it was on your hands or arms. This opens up an entirelly different can of worms. I think that if it doesn't go away in a week or two on its own I'd be checking with my primary care physician. While contact dermititis usually (key word - usually) envolves direct contact with an irritant coming in contact with the skin the rash on your chest doesn't seems to fit that bill. I do have a couple of medical allergies developed from long term ingestion of certain medicines that have manifested themselves as skin rashes. You might want to take a look at something that you're taking medically or something that's in your diet. But like I said, if it doesn't go away in an appropriate amount of time see a doctor to make sure it isn't serious because if you are developing an allergy to something it could get a lot worse and go from annoying to life threatening.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Cat Slave

One of the reasons I thought is was my hair was where it is currently manifesting. A semi-circle of rash on my chest right at where my hair touches me just inside the neckline of my shirt. But it does seem to flair up when I use my wood finishes, too.

The Dr has me on some super allergy pills right now. The pills don't seem to be helping at all, except to limit the amount of scratching I am doing. I am due back in about a month. At which point we may have to take the next step, i.e the scratch and sniff test.

I wash my hair every night with the same shampoo I have used for years. I have allergies to perfumes and pigments used in makeups, creams, hair froofroo crap so I avoid anything with these things in them. I hope it isn't the shampoo. It took me years to find this one that didn't cause other problems.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Kitaye... You might find this interesting and the accompanying links helpful.

Environmental Working Group provides list of toxins found in popular skin care products