Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Caricature Carving
Connect with Facebook

Plasmacam
Caricature Carving

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Default how to carve caricatures question

I really want to start carving full caricatures...I have watched videos including Gene and Lynns.

My question is, Are there any books, dvds on how to carve a Caricature buy sepperating the body parts, like head, arms, torso, legs...I don't have a bandsaw so fallowing Lynns direction is a bit difficult.

I am looking to be using no bigger than 2x2 stock. so my thought was to carve a torso out of the 2x2, carve a head out of the 2x2, and arms and legs out of maybe 1x1...I think my biggest issue would be. how would I carve the head to connect with the torso. And the shape that I need to carve the torso, such as where the legs would connect..

Any and all help, ideas, comments are very welcome and needed
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Default Re: how to carve caricatures question

Dave Stetsons book adds a separate head and separate hands. That is the only one I have seen that say anything about how to attach parts, but to be honest he doesn't go into any detail that you would find helpful above and beyond what Lynn has taught you. A lot of books indicate the heads are separate, occasionally the arms..but I have yet to see instruction in how to attach them other than at Lynn's blog....I state that this is just MY knowledge, there may be tons of great books out there that have just what you want, but I don't know of them. You can use a coping saw, or big gouges, or your knives and a lot of time and do the things Lynn does..just not as quick or easy. If you really intend to carve any style for a long time (like from now on) I strongly urge you to start saving for a bandsaw as it is an almost indispensable tool to me and my buddies. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

What's the purpose of carving from separate pieces? My opinion is that doing so only introduces too many variables making it easy to make mistakes.

If you want to pursue, the legs can be joined by cutting the bottom of the torso at a 45 degree angles and matching the top of of the legs at 45 degrees also.

Most heads are joined by drilling a hole in the top of the torso and fitting the neck into that hole.

Pete LeClair has a book on carving caricatures from a single piece of wood that may be another option.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM

check out woodbe carvers site youll be amazed and all yr questions will be answered [but maybe some new ones]
Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Mitchell, I like to carve my arms (and sometimes the hands ) as well as the heads and sometimes the hats separately for several reasons. One...if you mess up, just make another. Two: you can turn the head until it is just right before attaching, you can move the arms around in different poses to get them just so before attaching and detailing, you can adjust the position of the hand to hold an object just right. Three: I can make a carving with outstretched arms out of a smaller block of wood for the body then add arms from small stock thus saving on the cost of larger blocks of wood that it takes for a one piece carving. Four: (and probably most important to me) I can change the orientation of the grain so it runs parallel to the long axis of the arms if they are at angles to the body to offer much greater strength and breakage resistance. I know some folks think doing a carving with attachments is "cheating" or less than "pure carving", but I carve for my pleasure and it pleases me to make them the way I do as I like the results. I find it much less stressful to do some of the parts separately and for me it doesn't introduce mistakes or problems. However a person carves, as long as he or she is happy with their process and results, that is the "right" way for them to carve.

Last edited by SlowMover; 05-08-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: punctuation and spelling
Old 05-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Slowmover, the question was for Scott - As a beginner, it just adds another variable that would be difficult to control. I should have used that word (beginner) in my first post. I was often frustrated with trying to match pieces up when I used this method when I began carving. You are an experienced carver and can 'see' how to make these additions quite easily. Sorry for the confusion.

I was just curious why HE wanted to carve such small pieces as attachments. I have an assumption, but did not want to make detailed recommendations without knowing for sure. It appears that because he does not have a saw, he wants to use smaller stock, AND smaller pieces using the same basic technique.

I agree 100% that there is no 'right' way to carve and often say so here.

There was no effort to downplay techniques that have add-ons or multiple pieces....I do it myself - especially in designing pieces.

My question was intended to get a better idea of what he wanted to do so that I (and others) could better assist him.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 PM

I misunderstood and thought it was a general question. I agree that attachments are difficult to learn and that it is much easier to do them once one has experience.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the Replys all...Mitchell, I wouldn't say that I am a beginner carver maybe a step above..I have tried carving a caricature out of one piece of wood..and I just don't be able to get it right..not in my eyes anyway...I have been carving santa ornaments for a few months now. and doing quite well, even selling them..and I really want to get into carving full figure Santas..I have a book that my parents got me for Christmas on Caricature carving I don't remember who wrote the book. But even with that I found it hard to fallow..

I guess my thought of going the way I asked about origonally..is lets say I carve the torso just fine and the arms just fine. but then I have a little trouble on a leg. well I wouldn't have to do both legs all over again just one.

I don't know maybe it's not a great way to go about it..I really wish I had a class around that was close. but there is not..and it doesn't seem like there are any festivals that are close to me either..So I am a bit limited on where I can learn from..

I value all your opinions, LOL heck you guys help me get to where I am now
Old 05-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Check out the free videos on my carving Blog OutWestWoodCarving. By last count there were over 280 of them covering just about anything you can think of concerning caricature carving. We attach all kinds of things there. Arms, legs, hats heads, ....you name it and we've probably attached it. Right now we're in the process of attaching a carbide lamp to a coal miners hat. Check it out!
www.outwestgallery.com
Out West Woodcarving Possee On Facebook

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM

Thank you for your invite Lynn, I will and have checked out your videos. And am honored that you have invited me in.