Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Default Wanting to make a chess set...

Hello all, so this is my first post here, and am looking forward to learning from this forum.

So my issue -

I'm a beginner when it comes to carving (thus the thread choice), and want to carve, as my first project, chess pieces. Before beginning, I'm trying to figure out, and would appreciate any advice on the following:

1) What tools/wood would work best for this project?
2) Is this project a good 'first stab' into carving?
3) I've looked online for patterns and advice, and there seems to be a lot out there. This said, I could always use more advice, so if there are any 'how to' sites anyone here could recommend for a project like this, they would be welcome.
4) Anything else I might have missed is of course welcome as well.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Wanting to make a chess set...

I also thought I'd add - I've searched this forum, and know there is a good deal of information out there on chess sets (particularly on patterns). I actually want to use my own pattern, and couldn't find too much information on what tools are best to use. Hopefully this makes my topic 'different' enough - I know it can be annoying to see what looks like the same question repeated again and again and hopefully that's not what my question looks like.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

I think a chess set for a beginner might be a little bit much, since there are 32 pieces to carve, and a total of 6 different patterns, assuming you use color to tell them apart. If you really want to, then by all means go for it - keep us informed with photos of your progress. As to the tools, probably the beginners carving set from Rick at Beginner's Carving Set at Little Shavers would be a good starting point. Rick has sold a lot of these to beginning carvers over the years. He sends them to with the safety gear you need. They're sharpened correctly, and he sends the strop to keep them sharp. As to the wood...my recommendation is buy your basswood from Heinecke Wood Products The service is fast and the wood is top quality.

Claude

My Pinterest Page: Claude's Wood Carving and Beadwork

My WCI Gallery
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

The tool selection could depend on what your design is.

A glove, good knife, and basic sharpening skills are STRONGLY suggested before going any further.

Actually - "best" is a personal preference, so you may get a variety of conflicting answers.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM

First of all, thanks for the response - I appreciate the information.

I've chosen a chess set for two reasons - first, I enjoy chess, and the idea of playing a game with a set I made is appealing. Secondly, I know it will take some time to make, and hopefully the repetition of making so many pieces helps me to learn wood carving.

Now, as for the recommendation - I've looked at the beginner kit you recommended, and actually planned on buying it until I came across an earlier board discussion that mentioned a 'detail knife' is useful. I'm still leaning towards the kit you recommended, but are there any pros/cons that I should know about to the kit versus more 'specialized' instruments?

On this point, my chess set design is, well, geometrically focused - unlike some of the other (more complicated designs), I want my pieces to be angular, and not look like particular characters. For this, I'm envisioning straight lines, and in some cases rounded parts would be nice. Are there particular tools are methods to achieve either of these looks?

Lastly - I was debating between basswood and butternut, but I've gotten enough advice to side with the former, so thanks again for this recommendation as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I think you will get bored and or frustrated then give up carving all together. I'd go through Genes tutorials before I'd tackle a chess set
Old 02-08-2010, 08:19 PM

For some reason this board keeps deleting my posts...this message serves as a test (please ignore)
Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

New members will sometimes have posts put on "waiting" until approved. This prevents spam (and we get MANY spam attempts daily). Anyway, I approved the post and you should be good to go from now on.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Basswood is best if you want to paint the pieces. Butternut is best left natural or with little/selective painting. You could use both (one for each side).

The beginners tool set should work great for you and this project.

You are astute in picking the set as a great way to learn. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:24 PM

Mitchell - thanks for your help, that makes a lot of sense. I think I'll actually use butternut after your suggestion - I don't want to paint the wood which makes it the better options.