Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Helvie Knives
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 12:30 AM

Default what type of knife?

OK, I'm fairly new to wood carving, not wood working
but wood carving. What type of knife would be the
most recommended? I know there must be many many
different types and brands, but you name a good general
all around knife that is not real high priced? I've been
using an Xacto Knife and that is not going to do the job.
Not accurate enough and not sturdy enough. I need a
good dependable knife, but I also need a little advice as
to what to look for.

Thank You
Old 02-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Default Re: what type of knife?

I use a lee furguson knife for most of my carving, I think it was 20$. It works great for me ,I like a blade that has a little flex to it. He is a great guy to work with. I think he has free shipping.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think you could go wrong with a Flexcut to start with...they come razor sharp and are reasonably priced and are pretty well readilly available anywhere that handles carving tools.

I don't think they are the absolute best and we all have our favorites so you are going to get a whole lot of recomendations.

Mine would be the Stanley "Whittlin Jack", if you can still find one. But that one will need some work to get it fully sharpened.

Al
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 AM

You didn't say what you want to carve, but I assume 3D. I would suggest a blade of 1.25" - 1.75". One of flat grind - straight bevel from the back of the blade to the cutting edge. Take a look at the Wells/Shipley knives or the Denny knives. Great blades and they come very sharp. Take a look at Rick's site for more info or give him a call to discuss your needs.
Wood Carving Knives at Little Shavers
Old 02-28-2010, 09:59 AM

you will get almost as many answers to this as there are carvers-- i have 9 knives-- but the one i keep going back to is a ron wells-mikeshipley knife-- 1 1/2" - its about $25 i think.( this was the second knife i bought) you are going to spend $20 or better for a good knife (imho). ive not used flexcut knives i dohave a few of their tools and they do stay sharp. denny knives are good also--my second choice knife is one that was made locally and i bought at a local shop--its 3 inches long and very flexible. i like it for its length and narrowness. you will find out inthe future what works best for you-- and hopefully it wont take 9 tries to get there--i know some that are knife junkies and buy each new one on the market. good luck-- have fun and keep the knife sharp.

I'm in favor of saving the planet-- Its the only one with chocolate.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:15 PM

you can also contact ralph long he makes a wonderful knife for the price of a shipley or denny, he will stand behind it to,he has a wide array of styles and lengths, it comes very sharp and all you have to do is keep it stropped.

bart
Old 02-28-2010, 12:29 PM

If you want a "work horse" contact Rick at Little Shavers Wood Carving Supply or Larry Yudis at The WoodCraft Shop - Online Store and get a Murphy. Ordering the sharpened version from either will get you a truly sharp knife that is ready to carve for around $15.

If you want something nicer talk to them about one of the many knives produced by carvers for carvers. Shipley, Denny, Wells, Lyons, Helvie, etc. These will cost you more but have a larger assortment of blade shapes, handle shapes, and woods. Some of these are art in their own right.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM

My favorite www.drakeknives.com

Dave
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Sir Bleedsalot

There are a lot of knives on the market. My sugestion would be to find a wood carvers club and attend a meeting. Most of the guys will let you try their tools. This will help you more than anything I can suggest.

Take care,
Dan
Old 02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
A Carvers son

I started with an exacto knife and when I went to a true carving knife, I never went back. See what fits your hand the best. A new carver is not going to hold it long before he will start tiring from carving. When you get something you like, the feel in your hand, you will stay with it longer. Then later start trying the other knife makers with the different styles for the different carvings you do. Benjamin