Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Zen Tool Works
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Default Trouble switching to 3D

Greetings all,
I'm looking for some words of wisdom and some practical advice to help me with the trouble I am experiencing "starting" new carvings.
I am an amateur artist whose work has all been 2D. Even though I can picture what I want when starting a new carving, I am feeling confused on where to cut first.
Once I get going, assuming I started correctly, I do fine.
The only thing I have seen as a beginner on how to start is to draw a profile on the side of your block of wood and then carve it out all the way through.
After that you start working the 3D aspect of it.
Well that works fine with some things but not with all.
I am attempting a new piece consisting of a frog whose legs are wrapped around a tree and as hard as it is to start this, I feel like there must be some basics that I need to learn that will take the edge off of the confusion I am having with getting started.
In other words, any tips on getting your carving from the block of wood stage to the rough-out stage?
(Funny thing...I work as a Designer who works with 3D drafting software to create new 3D designs on the computer every day and yet by hand, I find myself somewhat stumped)
Thanks in advance!
James
Old 03-21-2010, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Trouble switching to 3D

Something that might be helpful could be making a clay model before starting to carve. It can be really useful in determining basic shapes and how things will look....much easier for the design phase than carving.

"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpounders View Post
Something that might be helpful could be making a clay model before starting to carve. It can be really useful in determining basic shapes and how things will look....much easier for the design phase than carving.
That is a great idea!
Thanks Mike!
Blessings,
James
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM

Since you're already working in 3D, and know how to generate a drawing in three views, use all three views to create your carving blank. If you can make your orthogonal projection, copy all three views onto your block, then cut the block in each direction ( or at least two; plan and elevation). There are a couple of tricks involved, since you will find you will cut off the pattern for the next view while cutting the first. Reattach the scrap with the pattern using double-sided tape, hot melt glue, etc. then cut through the pattern to get the second view. Most carvers don't bother with the third view, but if you can make that cut too, it will give you a blank that has all of the key reference points. For a lot of animal carvings, you'll find you just need to "round" the corners to create the basic shape. If your software generates 3D isometric views, you'll find them useful as reference material while you're carving. Good luck. Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdallensr View Post
Since you're already working in 3D, and know how to generate a drawing in three views, use all three views to create your carving blank. If you can make your orthogonal projection, copy all three views onto your block, then cut the block in each direction ( or at least two; plan and elevation). There are a couple of tricks involved, since you will find you will cut off the pattern for the next view while cutting the first. Reattach the scrap with the pattern using double-sided tape, hot melt glue, etc. then cut through the pattern to get the second view. Most carvers don't bother with the third view, but if you can make that cut too, it will give you a blank that has all of the key reference points. For a lot of animal carvings, you'll find you just need to "round" the corners to create the basic shape. If your software generates 3D isometric views, you'll find them useful as reference material while you're carving. Good luck. Mike
Thanks a lot Mike, that sounds like an interesting approach.
Actually today I find that I am having less trouble.
Maybe I'm just not tired but I'm on a roll!
Blessings,
James
Old 03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
Waiting to Carve

I am a brand new carver, still working on my first project of a gnome loosely based on Gene Messers tutorial, i've had similar challenge as i also work in 3D autocad and drafting but most of my work and art previous has been drawing and painting. best i can say so far is don't be too stuck on what your finished project "should" look like it changes all by itself as you see the grain in the particular piece of wood. also (this was the hardest [art for me) exagerate the cuts, i have to keep reminding myself not to just be "drawing" the image on the wood with my knife.

hope this helps

theres a link to my blog in my signature if you want to see what i've done so far
Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1301 View Post
I am a brand new carver, still working on my first project of a gnome loosely based on Gene Messers tutorial, i've had similar challenge as i also work in 3D autocad and drafting but most of my work and art previous has been drawing and painting. best i can say so far is don't be too stuck on what your finished project "should" look like it changes all by itself as you see the grain in the particular piece of wood. also (this was the hardest [art for me) exagerate the cuts, i have to keep reminding myself not to just be "drawing" the image on the wood with my knife.

hope this helps

theres a link to my blog in my signature if you want to see what i've done so far
Sounds like you could be my twin Michael!
So far I have noticed exactly what you stated.
I notice that my work has been taking on its own shape but part of that is I notice that I am afraid to take those exagerated cuts you mentioned. The end result has been thus far good looking work but when viewed from the top or front they tend to look blocky and squared off.
All in time.
Thank you for you comments!
Blessings,
James
Old 04-07-2010, 02:08 AM

Comming from the point of view of another designer......yes, doing 3d graphics is different from carving, but not much. Vision what you are doing but instead of building out like you do when you box model, you are building IN. a tree with a frog, first shape that sticks out will be the frog, so you start with the frog and carve in untill you get the tree or other details. I think you are taking on to much of a project for your first.....you will get frustrated and give up carving. Do something a little more eaiser to start with.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM

I must recommend clay models. They make all the difference. You can adjust them and take measurements from them, as well as creating views for bandsawing out.

IF the pictures upload, hope you can see what I mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr Toad - the model - lite.jpg (45.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Mr Toad - DONE.jpg (32.2 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by arfer1943; 04-07-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfer1943 View Post
I must recommend clay models. They make all the difference. You can adjust them and take measurements from them, as well as creating views for bandsawing out.

IF the pictures upload, hope you can see what I mean.

That is one gorgeous frog.

If I was able to duplicate a frog with clay like you did my hobby would not only be carving but sculpting with clay also. I have no gift with either. You seem to have a gift with both.