Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

OCC Tools
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Default Strop question

My strop has two sides. One with the rough texture of the leather and the other with the smooth. Does it matter which side you use for stropping, or do you use one then the other? I tried a search and couldn't find an answer.........

steve
Old 02-24-2010, 12:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Stan Curtis Send a message via AIM to Stan Curtis Send a message via Yahoo to Stan Curtis
Default Re: Strop question

I make my strops from leather work gloves, cut apart and glued to a flat stick, like a paint stirrer. I put the smooth side on one end, the rough on the other. The rough side is used with compound and the smooth side without compound for the finishing touch. The fingers, incidentally, become guards for thumbs and (you guessed it!) fingers.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Most folks seem to recommend the rough side out. This is used with a compound like the Flexcut gold or green (like Zam). Of course everyone has a favorite. I've never used the smooth side.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:33 PM

I also use the rough side, I find it holds compound better. I did try the Tormek paste compound just recently on the smoth side of leather, it also worked real well. Try them both and see what works best for you.

Dave
Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 PM
North of 49

I use them both and I don't see a lot of difference but I favour the smooth side for the final strop (without compound) although a bit of compound always seems to migrate somehow.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Thanks to all the stroppers.............
Old 02-24-2010, 07:53 PM

When I first started carving I made myself a beautiful double sided smooth strop but as time progressed by preferences changed and I now prefer a rough strop. It holds the compound better on application and it doesn't seem to gum up as fast when used as the smooth leather. Like Stan I make my own strops and raid the stirer can at Home Depot when ever I'm in the paint deparment and pick up scrap leather when it's on sale or when the craft stores offer their 50% off coupons.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:40 PM

Location: Born, raised and never left Maine (to live that is)

Wll, Im interested in this discussion too, since Im so new to sharpening carving tools. Ive only had old, used (read worn out) tools that were hand-me-downs and I got them as sharp as I could with as little knowledge as I have, but I havent used them much anyway so I havent really worn them down.....YET! Ive recently purchased a straight knife, draw knife, spoke shave and plane that I want to keep nice and sharp.

I have some nice, heavy leather that I use to make fly wallets with. The outside side is REALLY nice and slick/finished/tanned, the inside is rough and pilled like. Can I use this? I honestly have no idea. I was thinking if I could, maybe cut a piece like a foot long and make a handle for one end, like a pick ('70's 'fro comb) and be able to use both sides.

So, can you use basically any leather? Thanks a bunch, Duane

PS: Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 PM

That't what I use for my homemade stropper, heavy leather.

I put harder compound on the rough side, and softer compound on the smooth side for the finishing step. The softer compound adheres more easily than the hard compound and works well on the smooth leather.

With that set-up, I can get a mirror finish on my knives.

Gilles

“Friends are the family we choose for ourselves” - Edna Buchanan

My Blog http://gtech-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2010, 05:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to breezly

i myself use the rough side it holds the compound better for me