Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Henry Taylor Tools
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Default Quick way to dry out green wood for carving?

Howdy. We just had a very old, very large maple fall from a storm in our yard. Most of it was hauled off, but I kept a few chunks for myself. I was wondering if you can accelerate the curing process with something as simple as placing the piece you want to carve in your oven at very (170 degrees) low heat for a few hours?

Is that reasonable?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Quick way to dry out green wood for carving?

You could do that why not, it may cause it to crack or not. I say carve it green and wet very fast then allow it to dry before you finish it. Carve several when you are finished with the last the first will be ready to sand and finish. Most carvers get hung up on cured wood just carve it and it will be fine.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Claude

Probably the fastest, in theory, is to build a vacuum chamber, put the wood in it, and use a vacuum pump to pull the air from the chamber. Leave it under vacuum for a couple of days and it should be dry when you take it out. Definitely not cheap, though...

If you have a friend who does commercial freeze-drying, that might help you also. One of these: http://www.millrocktech.com/

Claude

My WCI Gallery

Last edited by Claude; 12-03-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:53 AM

There is some internal movement in wood. Rapid, forced drying can set up stresses in the wood which would otherwise be relieved gradually with air-drying. You get to discover those when you get 2/3 of the way through a carving and "snap the rubber band."
I'd suggest that you do some as Don suggests: "wet and fast" and let the carving dry out. Slab some for airdrying outdoors under cover, expect to lose 2-6" in each end from checking splits.
Generally 1" thickness per year. Can you get some slipped into a regular load going into a kiln dryer? Can you trade with any woodworker for some that's a little further along in the drying process?
Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Obviously, my post above was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, since you asked for "quick".
RV has given you some good suggestions. If you intend to do this in the future, you might google building a wood kiln - there are lots of plans out there, from something using 4 inch PVC pipe, to an old chest freezer to purpose-built "sheds". Another possibility to to immerse the wood in PEG for the appropriate time. http://owic.oregonstate.edu/pubs/peg.pdf

If you do try the oven idea, I'd suggest weighing the wood before you start and write down the weight. Every half hour or so, weigh it again and record the result. When you get a couple of weighings that are the same (no more loss of moisture), the wood is "dry". Then, please post back here to let us know how the experiment went. I'd also be interested in how much weight is lost each half hour...

Claude

My WCI Gallery
Old 12-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys. I think I'm going to take a small piece (looking to carve my first pipe, and I hear maple makes good ones) and try it in the oven. Don't think I'll get a chance before the kids get out for Christmas Break though, so as soon as I try it out, I'll let you all know if it worked.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Small enough for a pipe... you might try microwaving it for a few seconds, and then letting it cool down, and microwave again, etc., weighing each time on a postal scale or what have you until the weight doesn't change... I thought you were talking about some wood chunks on the order of a foot or two thick. Go up to the Search link on the green bar and enter microwave and you should find several threads where people have talked about this.

Claude

My WCI Gallery
Old 12-04-2011, 02:16 PM

that's a great idea, i hadn't considered it. thanks, Claude!
Old 12-04-2011, 09:29 PM

Have used the microwave for small pcs as well, it works. But it can get pretty hot, watceh your hands, as you are turning the moisture within the wood to steam which can easily escape the wood cells.

AJC
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 PM
MyMother'sDaughter!

I've nuked green wood quite a few times and had pretty good results. I wrap tight it in a small paper bag and microwave for 30 to 45 seconds, then turn it over and do that again. Then let it cool. Then repeat the whole process, cooling included at least 5 or 6 times.
I have also used the colored newspaper if I didn't have the bags.
I don't have a small scale, so when the wood is cool, I put it up to my face or lips and if it still feels clammy and cool, I nuke it some more. Not very scientific, but it works for me.
I also leave the wrapped wood to cool in the kitchen sink, just in case it's smoldering, it hopefully won't catch the house on fire! And I can dowse it quick!