Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Tormek
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to catbird
Default how to order wood

I am at a loss as to figure out how much and what sizes of basswood to order. I am a bit overwhelmed and spending lots of time on this site. I find it both inspiring and somewhat intimidating.
Thanks in advance for your kindness.
Catbird Wink
Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: how to order wood

Catbird, your size of wood will depend on what you are wanting to carve.

I'd suggest that you attend a club meeting in your area to get an idea of what other carvers are using. There are MANY clubs throughout NC - depending on where you live - you should not have to drive too far to find one.

IF that's not an option, you can usually talk with one of the wood suppliers to determine what you actually need. It may also be limited by what tools (and/or access to tools) that you have. I usually order large pieces and cut them down to the size that I want.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 PM

You're in the "Catbird" seat here! You have to have a plan in mind to know what you need. If you're really a newbie and just want to order some stuff to carve in the round with to get started then I'd suggest that you stick to small stock.... perhaps a selection of one or two each of 1"x1"x12", 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x12", 2"x2"x12",and no larger than 3"x3"x12" to begin with.You can whittle with some basic small tools to your hearts content with all of these sizes. By the time you work your way through these you'll have a better idea of where you want to go from there.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Thanks Mitchell. I have been looking for a club nearby. I live in Oak Ridge, close to the airport in Greensboro.
I want to start out with small figures and expand from there. The guys at Woodcraft advised me in my first purchase of tools. I have the following Flexcut tools: Roughing knife, mini detail knife, 6 mm v tool, 8mm Dbl. bevel skew, and a #3 and #6 gouge. I also have a scroll saw and hopefully my bandsaw will still work (after 20 years sitting in the basement). I believe the prices at Woodcraft are a bit high.
I am working on my first piece, a head of either a santa or a troll LOL. It is kinda changing as I go along, but I am having fun!
You guys are so helpful on this site.
What a joy!
Old 07-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks Eddy, that sounds like a good plan. I am loving the carving, very relaxing. I am dying to carve one of those houses out of bark. The bark I priced at Woodcraft was $15. Is that what I have to pay, or could there be another source?
C~
Old 07-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Catbird...

SMWC in Townsend gets between $8.50 and $10.00 a pound depending on the thickness. Since you live in N.C. you'd only have to pay shipping but you'd have to see how that compares to Woodcraft's price plus the N.C. state sales tax. It's been my experience that Woodcraft is way overpriced. For instance, their 1.5x1.5x12 basswood was advertised for $5.00 in a flyer the other day. You can get a 2x6x12 from SMWC for that price.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM

Catbird,

Not to rain on a retail suppliers prices, but Woodcraft currently is selling 2x2x12 inch basswood practice pieces for $5.50 I believe. They order it from Heinecke Wood Products. Heinecki regularly sells it for $1.50. Of course, there is shipping.....but it's still considerably cheaper.

Tom H
Old 07-12-2008, 08:44 PM

No one can ever accuse Woodcraft of underselling their competition!
Old 07-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Good point Eddy !! I go to the C.W. store when I am down that way, bunch of nice guys work there and very helpfull, but yes way overpriced. Last time I was there I bought a couple things, almost bought a stick of yellowstone till I realized it was about $6.00 more then what Smokey Mtn. charges, thats just insane.

Dave
Old 07-12-2008, 10:38 PM
plain ol' member

I ordered a nice selection of basswood in the sizes mentioned from Heinecke directly and it was VERY reasonbly priced even with shipping.

There are also a couple great guys who'll ship you a nice box of selected bark pieces for very reasonable prices from out west - Alex Bisso (where I got mine) and Art Olver. I told Alex I what I was interested in carving (wood spirits and gnome houses) and he sent me a range of sizes hand selected and perfect for both.

ChuckT