Welcome to the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board, an online wood carving forum community where you can join thousands of carvers from around the world discussing all things related to carving. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Browse over 90,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other carvers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from 3,500 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to exclusive wood carving promotions offered by Wood Carving Illustrated and Fox Chapel Publishing.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board's Support Team.

Go Back   Woodcarving Illustrated Message Board > Wood Carving > Wood Carving for Beginners
Connect with Facebook

Dale Green Woodcarving
Wood Carving for Beginners

Share Thread:
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2004, 01:29 PM
southerncat

Default old fashion dough bowls

first of all I am very new to this . I live in Greenville SC and just a few weeks ago I went to a old fashion market where there was a man carving out bowls. We started a conversation about dough bowls and I am hooked. My mother in law has a dough bowl she has been making bread in for years. I have tried to research dough bowls on the net but all I can find is fancy bowls. Iam looking for the simple old fashion ones . The guy at the market is only there 1 sat out of every month and i know of no other wood carver around here so ....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 07-03-2004, 05:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to dart
Default Re: old fashion dough bowls

Welcome, southerncat. I know what kind of bowls you are talking about. I watched Roy Underhill making them on the 'Woodwright's Shop' on television. He uses half a log and an adz. He makes it look easy. I tried to make one from a small half log but no luck. You might try a 'search' on Roy and his tv program as he probably has a website. Good luck. Jim
Old 07-03-2004, 08:50 PM
randy48

I was looking around trying to find a good price on a 50 - 60mm gouge and came across this site http://countryworkshops.org/index.html It has some information on carving Swedish bowls, not exactly what you're looking for, but may be of some help!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:05 AM

Southerncat, if the bowl carver is named John,wife Eva,a lay minister, give him my regards....I hadda make a bowl..Took a piece of bass slab,clamped to my outside bench.Hot melted wood on either side to act as a stop for my skill saw.Then dropped saw into wood, went foreward until the stop limited the travel of the saw. Repeated every three inches.So, now I have this piece of wood with saw cuts, took a gouge(carpenters gouge,not carving tool...much cheaper on e-bay)and knocked out the wood, which came out in blocks quite easily...The saw gave me an even ,equal depth. In finish carving,,,,Watch the grain as you get to the bottom,and go down hill,A 1 1/2 #3 and a swan neck #4,cleaned up the inside,found I could tilt the band saw table,,, trimmed the outside.. Had a piece left over, drew a circle on wood, used saw to make a square cut, then an X, going thru the center every time, used swan necks to finish the outside of the inside, again watching the grain.. Total time,, a bit over an hour to do,which includes finding the stuff,getting coffee..If wood green,mine was dried, be sure to wet it down as you dry it,and no plug in power with water... So, if someone can give advice on wetting bowls to dry and minimize splitting, hop on, I was given orders to make a 4 foot bowl by de boss !! Once I chisel finish to cover the band saw marks,will put polly on to seal the wood.. Hope this helps...If the wood were green,I think I would put a sealer on the outside only,not sure....hope this helps, and thank you for taking the time to read my comments,cordially Nad
Old 07-11-2004, 11:12 AM

they have salad bowl finish for those....also, how about some Pictures Nad? would be interested in seeing the bowls!
Old 07-11-2004, 01:00 PM

will take some next week, send to you,I don't know if I can post in a pix file,..However, will be instructional in showing how to regress the art of carving by at least 50 years two days min....nad
Old 07-11-2004, 08:03 PM

Hey Southerncat-
try checking on the John C. Campbell Folk School web site to get a catalogue of classes. I am pretty sure there is one or two bowl makers that give classes there. You might get some info thru the school. One of the old bowl carvers just passed away a few months ago. Fred Smith was fairly well known thru the south for his bowls, salad dishes and butter dishes. Hope this helps. They are not too far from you-less than 2 hours from Greenville.

Jim
Old 09-05-2004, 08:38 PM

southern cat i have tried many ways to do the bowls and have found the easiest to be with a 5 inch chain saw head that bolts onto. a grinder i think its called a lancelot blade about 35.00 at a wood working supply or is sold rockleer or woodcraft. i have used an adz but its alot of work this mini chainsaw is fast and the wood flies. if you want to see some bowls go to ebay and search under (wooden hand carved) and ther are usualy some for sale.Good luck and wear goggles.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Technical Editor

Hey Pip,
Did you have any trouble controlling the Lancelot? A lot of guys I've talked to (chainsaw carvers) prefer the arbortech tools that fit on a grinder better.

Bob
Old 09-17-2004, 09:01 PM

if you let it dive in you will have trouble with control i go slow and lite touch and it comes out very easy and fast, if you keep a sharp blade.